Post sclerotherapy treatment

After 10 weeks of sclerotherapy onoarge veins at the base of the back of my thigh, just above my knee, I'm still experiencing lumps and knots and quite often mild sensitivity. I wear compression stockings for about 9 hours every day. Should the veins be drained?

Post sclerotherapy clots.

Hard areas are very common following sclerotherapy treatments and the larger the vein treated the greater the chance of this happening.  I usually drain these areas anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks post treatment so you should definitely  have these evacuated.

Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question in regards to sclerotherapy. Lumps and pigmented areas are common after sclerotherapy and typically will resolve on their own. Although continuing to wear your compression helps, if tenderness is present, it would be best to follow up with your provider. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Trapped blood

"lumps and nodes" of trapped blood are very often happen after sclerotherapy. It is matter of time and those always resolve. However, if those bother you (tender, pigmentaion, etc) you can ask vein specialist to evacuate using a needle.

Vahe Melkonyan, MD
Sherman Oaks Phlebologist

Nodules along a treated vein

Post-sclerotherapy, one may develop microthrombi within the vessels which feel firm and lumpy.  These are not serious thrombi.  Wearing your compression stocking is helpful and this should resolve over time.  Good luck.

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon