What BMI is required for BBL/Fat transfer? Do you factor body composition too along with BMI? (Photo)

I'm 5'4" and want to know what weight I need to be to have a BBL/Fat Transfer. I'm very chesty. Breast are a very full 38 DDD . I've gained a lot of weight 4 years ago as a result of thyroid issues and can't lose it no matter what I try.

Liposuction, BBL and Obesity

A BMI of 30 and over is defined as Obesity while a BMI of 40 or over defined high risk or Morbid Obesity. It has been proven in several studies that body contouring in people with BMIs greater than 30 is associated with both higher complications and average to disappointing results. 
Here are my suggestions. I would home in in the thyroid issue. A low function thyroid is associated with both weight gain and slow metabolism as well as slow thinking, depression and feeling cold a lot of the time. But it is easily fixable with thyroid pills. Once your thyroid checks out (by checking your TSH levels). Then I would cut ALL carbs and exercise regularly for 6 months to see where it takes you. From your photos, yiur buttocks are not small but like millions of other women you have excess fat of the lower back which appear to flatten the buttocks. I would suggest that Back Scoop Liposuction may greatly enhance your lower back creating lower back definition, a shelf and buttocks which literally appear to "pop". BBL is the grafting of fat into a flat buttock devoid of volume. This does not appear to be the case with you. 
Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Weight loss before surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

A BMI under 30 would work best. BMI of 30 or less you would be healthy for the procedure.  A "BBL" Brazilian butt lift harvest fat from areas ( Liposuction ) with the fat removed from the areas using your own fat it transfer to the buttocks and into the hips.The common donor sites for this procedure is your posterior waist/flanks, lateral thighs, back, waist, and anterior tummy.  When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experience in Brazilian Butt Lifts.  choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. and free Face to face consultation.  Thank you for your question .

Rami Ghurani, MD

BMI and BBL

Thanks for your question and photo.
I use the BMI as a predictor of potential risk of surgey on each individual patient.  I do not assess it as an indicator of cosmetic surgical outcome.  The projected results from a BBL surgery are dependent on the patients anatomy and how much fat they have to donate.  The maximum amount of fat we can remove at my facility is 5 liters.  This greatly improves the shape of an individual provided they do not have a tremendous amount of visceral (internal stomach) fat which cannot be liposuctioned.  Visceral fat can only be addressed with weight loss and exercise.
Best of luck.

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

Thank you for your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Weight and BBL

BMI does not dictate whether you are a candidate or not for liposuction and BBL. Based on your photos, though, I would suggest you focus on weight loss first to get your very best result. Liposuction cannot help you lose weight. I recommend you meet with a nutritionist and trainer to work with your body and your newer thyroid issues. Once you are at a happy and healthy weight, you will be an excellent candidate for a BBL.

BMI and BBL

If you are in the upper limit of normal weight or just slightly overweight, you may be a good candidate for a BBL. Sure body composition matters, but the BMI is a rough estimate. A consultation in person is the best way to find out if you're ready. Watch this brief video on this exact topic.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

BBL and BMI

I prefer if a patients BMI is less than 30 because I think overall it is safer.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

BBL and BMI

In general, any body contouring procedure will work best if the BMI is under 30.  This is not absolutely necessary, but in general, the cosmetic result will be better.  You should be aware that deflating your abdomen by harvesting fat may result in loose skin which would then need to be removed with some form of a tummy tuck.  The only way to know what she exact procedure is good for you is to visit with two or three board-certified plastic surgeons.
Best of luck! Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

BMI is only an "approximate" measure to determine suitability for "Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)"

You ask a great question here, because there are a few very important points to be made in answering it.With respect to your question about BMI, I think it should be noted that BMI is more of a "relative indicator" of the status of your body, and it shouldn't be taken as any kind of gold standard.  This is because BMI, or Body Mass Index, only takes into account a person's height and weight, with different calculations for males and females.  So, in general, if a person is shorter and weighs more, we might think of them as more obese, and in turn they will have a higher BMI.  However, what about the person who has a lot of muscle mass because they are a gymnast or a body builder?  Those people will weigh a lot more for their height, because muscle is denser than fat, and they will in turn have a higher BMI, but do we also consider them as obese?  Thus, when considering BMI as an indicator of one's suitability for any body contouring procedure, including BBL, we need to look at the whole picture.  This means we should also get an indication of the body fat percentage as well as just the height, weight, and BMI.  This is something that is always done best in person with an examination, however, in your case, based on the one image that you have provided and your history of troublesome weight gain recently, it appears as though you may have a substantial amount of body fat in the central part of your body.  This may mean that the results of a procedure like BBL won't be as satisfying to you now compared to after you were able to lose some of the excess weight.This leads to the next point I would like to make, and that is as with any body contouring procedure, our BEST results are always obtained when a person is at the optimal weight.  This doesn't mean that they have to meet some arbitrary or standard definition of "ideal body weight," but it means that they are at the best weight that they can attain given a healthy and sustainable lifestyle, diet, and exercise regimen.  Once we are stable at a good target weight, I find that we obtain, and more importantly keep, our long term results.  Remember, the fat injected with a BBL is living fat, and it will function like any other living fat - if you gain more weight after the procedure, it will increase in volume, and if you lose weight after the procedure, it will decrease too.  Thus, unless we are at a stable target weight at the time of surgery, we're "shooting at a moving target."The last point to make here is that we should always be in our best medical condition before undergoing procedures like this.  We should especially address any potential medical problems that might have a direct bearing on weight gain or loss, such as thyroid or other endocrine or hormone conditions, too.  These procedures are elective procedures, which means we can choose to do them or not, and we can choose when they get done.  They aren't emergency procedures, like a trauma surgery, in which we have no choice in the matter.  Thus, we should make sure that everything is optimized, including medical condition, weight, and body fat percentage, before moving forward.  If, when you say you can't lose your weight no matter what you try, you have only tried things on your own without consulting a doctor, I suggest that you schedule an appointment to see your family doctor so that any potential issues, like thyroid problems, hormone deficiencies, and the like can be evaluated and treated before undergoing surgery like this.  If all of that comes back normal, or without any definite diagnosis, there is always the possibility to begin a medically supervised weight loss program which might be more effective than the things you are doing on your own.If you do decide to undergo consultation for BBL, be sure to look for board certified plastic surgeons with experience in fat transfer procedures, as they will be the best trained and  equipped to produce the safest and most effective results.  In addition to being certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, your surgeon should also voluntarily participate in the Maintenance of Certification program administered by that board. This is the best way to know that your surgeon not only has the best training and experience for the procedure, but that he or she has maintained currency in the certification requirements as opposed to practicing on a "lifetime" certificate which has only been reviewed once at the beginning of his or her career. For more information on this you can visit ABplsurg.org or ABMS.org. Good luck.