CoolSculpting pain meds

I'll be starting Coolsculpting treatment on my flanks first just to test it out. I read somewhere to stay away from abut-inflammatory meds, so just wondering what's the preferred pain med choice?

Pain medication after CoolSculpting - Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen are fine

Some patients experience mild pain and/or swelling of the abdominal skin after treatment with CoolSculpting.  For these patients, over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen are adequate.  These medications will not affect your results.

Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Anti-inflammatory medications after Coolsculpting

Excellent question!  The reason that anti-inflammatory medications should not be used after Coolsculpting is that the inflammation caused by the procedure helps improve results by causing more fat cells to die.  Taking medications that get reduce that inflammatory process may help more fat cells survive and make your results not as good as they would have been.  Many patients do not need any pain medication after Coolsculpting, especially on the flanks. Some patients experience itching and Benedryl can help reduce that sensation.  Tylenol is helpful for many patients, and occasionally narcotics are needed.  In our experience, it is very unusual for patients to need narcotics following Coolsculpting treatments. Best of luck to you.  

Dana Coberly, MD

Getting the Most out of Coolsculpting!

It's unlikely that an OTC anti-inflammatory would affect your results, but if you're concerned you can speak with your Dr about alternatives. I know you're going to test out Coolsculpting. I  usually suggest Coolscupting in combination with radiofrequency treatments such as Vanquish, Venus Legacy or Exilis with Z wave/X wave/Cellutone for the best results. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Coolsculpting pain meds

Most patients treated in the flank region typically do not need any pain medication other than Tylenol. If you experience any pain you may want to contact your provider. As a reminder do not take any Non-Steroidal anti- inflammatory during the first 2-4 weeks for best results.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain Meds for CoolSculpting

Most physicians do not recommend taking anti-inflammatory medicines because the inflammation of Coolsculpting helps the fat cells die. Many patients do not to take pain medicines after Coolsculpting. You may find Tylenol helpful. Good Luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Coolsculpting and post treatment care

Thank you for your question. One of the great things about coolsculpting is that there is minimal discomfort after the procedure. If the plastic surgeon you are going to offers the advantage hand piece then you will have even less pain than the older hand piece. We typically recommend ibuprofen to treat any discomfort after the procedure. I hope that helps. Good luck. 

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Pain Meds

Coolsculpting is the type of procedure that you do not need any pain meds nor would I recommend any pain meds or NSAIDS.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Pain Meds for CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting does rely on inflammation to achieve fat cell death, however, studies have shown that ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs), have no effect on CoolSculpting treatment results.  If you take an NSAID, there may be an increased chance of bruising afterward (due to their inherent anti-coagulation action).  On the other hand, acetaminophen (tylenol) does not affect inflammation or bleeding/bruising so that may be a better choice for you.  Discuss all your concerns at your personal consultation. 

Tina B. West, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

NSAIDS and Coolsculpting

No where does it say that these medications will affect your Coolsculpting results.  Some people suggest that the inflammation is necessary to obtain the best results but this is not studied and is just an assumption.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting Discomfort

Pain and Discomfort with CoolSculpting is minimal and most patients do not need any pain medication. The new CoolAdvantage applicator which can be used on the flanks makes the treatment even more comfortable.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon