Is Botox in scar tissue dangerous? (Photo)

I has surgery on top of my left eyebrow three times to remove a cyst and the last time they had to remove a little bit of the bone so there is a lot of scar tissue. Is this a concern when getting Botox. I asked one Dr and they weren't sure.

Botox and injecting into a scar. Safety and other considerations.

There is no increased danger when injecting scar tissue with Botox. Botox in scar tissue is inactive. 

To optimize cosmetic results, it is important to consider the scar's location and how deep it goes. Scars that go down to bone and scars adjacent to facial landmarks (eyebrow, eyelid, hairline) can tether or pull against the muscles of the face. This can be seen as dimpling of the skin. By relaxing the muscles around the scar evenly, the dimpling caused by muscles should be less.

Lastly, relaxing the tissue around a scar with Botox may potentially relieve any pulling tension that would widen the scar.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox May Actually Be Used To Treat Scars

In a recent February, 2016 issue of the medical journal, Practical Dermatology, there was in fact a discussion of the use of neuromodulators (i.e. Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin) for treating scars. It is well known that underlying muscular movement below excision sites can lead to overlying stretch scar formation, simply from the repetitive movement of the muscle. It was therefore reasoned that diminishing this underlying muscular movement will allow for more undisturbed laying down of new collagen and elastic fibers with resultant improved healing and narrower scars.

I have been personally using this approach for treating surgical sites on the body and on the face. I have certainly used it with good results when performing procedures for improving acne and chicken pox scars.

So, the short answer to your question is that there is no problem in getting Botox near the scar. One word of caution, however. The scar on your forehead appears pretty close to the eyebrow area. I would be concerned if Botox were to be placed there, so close to the eyebrow, as this can lead to brow and lid ptosis. There should not be a problem, on the other hand, if the Botox is intended to be injected at the tail of the eyebrow.

Make sure that you seek treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in injecting neuromodulators. 

Good luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Using botox near or in scar tissue

There is no concern in using botulinum toxin such as botox in or around a scar. In fact, we now sometimes use botox in and around a scar after surgery to minimize movement in that area to optimize the scar.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox in scar tissue

There is no direct risk to you if Botox if injected into scar tissue.  Botox is effective because it is injected into muscle and weakens its movement.  As this area is scar tissue there would be no reason to directly inject the scar.  I recommend seeing a physician injector who is familiar with the mechanism of Botox and the safe areas of the face for injection in order to avoid any complications.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Rednam

Is there a problem getting Botox injected near a scar

Thank you for sharing the interesting question. There is no problem getting Botox injected near your scar, but the location above the eyebrow can change the level of your brow.

Botox and scar

There is no problem injecting Botox in and around a scar. In fact, Botox is sometimes used to improve the appearance of scars.

Nicole Kafka, MD
New York General Surgeon

Is Botox in scar tissue dangerous?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Botox in and around the area of scarring will not be compromised and can be successfully used.  Be sure to use a board certified plastic surgeon as your injector.  

Botox near facial scars

Hello Sunshine154 - thank you for your question. I would not hesitate with Botox. It is safe and given this location the scar should not interfere with the administration of Botox. If there is some scarring down to the level of the bone, it may affect the way Botox spreads in the area, but again most experienced injectors would not be injecting right around that area anyways. Find someone with experience. 

Botox and scars

If you are getting Botox for 11's then this scar is not in the usual injection  area and should not an issue. Botox can be used to help flatten thick scars or used at the time of cyst excision to reduce muscle pulling. If your concern is the apparent depression of your scar then fillers may help. An experienced surgeon injector would also know that scar tissue can sometimes wick the Botox to undesired locations and would take care if doing Botox for other reasons near a scar. 

Diane Bowen, MD
Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Botox in Scar Tissue

No botox is not dangerous around a scar.  What concerns me is that you physician would not know that botox is used around scars and during skin cancer surgery to help the scar improve. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.