Can Fillers Take Care of Vertical Lips Lines?

Can fillers take care of vertical lips lines? And if so, what one would you suggest?

Vertical Lip Lines Can Be Treated by Multiple Methods

Vertical lip lines can be treated with direct injection with collagen or HA (Restylane, Juvederm). This works best if there are just one or two lines per half lip segment. It is very much dependent upon the skill of the injector.

Hills and valleys can easily be created when trying to eradicate single lip lines. I like to treat the lip with multiple methods. I have a 1,2,3 approach:

1. Filler to fill both the red of the lips and the surrounding skin
  2. Botox to treat the dynamic (moving) muscle underneath the skin. Make sure your injector knows what he/she are doing here! Too much botox in the lips and you will have a difficult time drinking your soup!
  3. Laser skin resurfacing to build up collagen and tighten the surround skin. With this approach I have been able to create Sexy Paris Lips in Detroit, Michigan.

If you mention this blog you will save $100 per syringe of any filler through December 31, 2008.

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Vertical lip lines

vertical lip lines are treatable with fillers. I would recommend using belotero or restylane silk as these are very smooth and fill in the lines nicely.

Kristin J. Tarbet MD, FACS
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes! YES!

I love going fillers as much as I love putting on my make up, because it is an art!

For fine lines, softer fillers such as Belotero can be placed superficially without the blue hue of deeper fillers. This blends so well and creates a smooth contour. I have various fillers in my own face in different areas to create the contour that I like for me!

You can combine fillers with a resurfacing laser or deeper chemical peel to stimulate your own collagen production and get even better results!

I always determine which combo of fillers to use based on the consolation: as my patients are talking I watch them animate their faces. The answer comes to me based on their unique anatomy! It really is so satisfying to see their happy faces after!

Tanya Kormeili, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Fillers to treat lip lines

Thank you for your question. In my opinion treatment of lip lines depends on the cause. If the lines are a result of volume loss, then a filler as juvederm volbella or any other low viscosity hyaluronic acid works well to fill your lines. If the lines are a result of poor skin texture than microneedling with PRP can help in improving these lines.

I hope this helps. Best wishes (Dr. Salameh, Plastic Surgeon, Bowling Green, KY)

Bernard S. Salameh, MD
Bowling Green Physician

Vertical Lip Lines and Treatment

There is a two fold way to treat vertical lip lines.  Juvederm Volbella or Restylane Silk can both be used to treat these fine lines.  When this is combined with PRP and microneedling and lasers such as Fraxel you will have amazing results.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in cosmetic facial injections for the best results. Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Fillers For Vertical Lip Lines

Dear jackster212:

Yes, fillers like Juvederm Volbella can be used to treat the fine lines around the lips, but I would highly recommend a holistic facial approach with regards to determining if your lips require volumization thus decreasing the amount of filler injected into the fine lines as well as considering laser resurfacing tools.  I would recommend maintenance use of a topical retinol as well as smoking cessation to the appropriate patients.  Hope this information helps.

Praven Chetty, MD
Kelowna Physician

Yes, fillers and other treatments combined do great

You can fill in the creases with temporary fillers like collagen ($450/cc) or hyaluronic acid fillers like juvederm, restylane, elevess ($550/syringe) or you can put in a permanent implant in the vermillion border or ridge of the lip which is very natural looking and undetectable ($1500). That tends to be one of the best solutions long term.

You may also want to resurface the lips by dermabrasion, laser or chemical peels ($750-1000 roughly) or even inject botox ($300)

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers do work extremely well

We used to use Collagen injections and still like it for very superficial lines. The disadvantage is that it lasts only 3-4 months. The advantage is that since 2/3 of it is water, it won't make it too large or bumpy. It also costs less. Since we do a large number of actresses who can't afford to have a bump on their face this is our choice for them.
For everyone else (who doesn't want resurfacing) we like Juviderm since it lasts up to a year, though it costs more.

Dermal fillers cannot completely take care of vertical lip lines

Vertical lip lines are a result of repeated movement (eg. pursing of the lip during pronunciation of certain words like "ohhh", whistling, kissing, smoking etc.) and loss of elastic tissue from sun-damage that occurs over many years.

With skilled injections of fine fillers, these verticle lip lines can be improved. I usually prefer one of the collagen products for this area. Fine hyaluronic acid fillers can work well too but if placed too superficially can lead to a bluish tinge (tindle effect). Too much filler will make the entire upper cutaneous lip look full.

Combining filler with Botox of the upper lip can be very successfull if done properly. For longer term results, laser resurfacing of the vertical lip lines can achieve very dramatic results but must be done cautiously, especially if there is a lot of background photo-bronzing.

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist