Can I Change my Eye Shape?

So far, I have not come across websites that offer to change the shape of the eyes per se. Although blepharoplasty might naturally change the eye shape to some extent (e.g. by making the eye rounder and larger), are there ways to make the eyes more almond shaped, for instance?

Yes, you can change your eye shape

I perform some sort of Blepharoplasty or eye procedure in my practice almost every working day. Asian Eyelid Surgeries are probably the most common in terms of changing the shape of one's eyes. It can indeed open the eye and make it appear larger as well as giving the eye the often sought after "eyelid crease".

Almond eyes, or exotic eyes, are slightly turned up in the outer corners, making them beautifully balanced. This shape is soft and welcoming. Almond eyes are youthful, boasting confidence. Many men and women are blessed with natural almond eyes, but for those who are not, science may intervene.

It is important that a potential patient make sure that he or she is seeking a specialist in this area. Make sure the surgeon is certified and ask to see before and after photos of the surgeon's work.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes, you can have almond shaped eyes

It's quite simple to create almond shaped eyes in most people with a canthoplasty. This tightens the corner of the eye, which reduces roundness and creates an almond shape.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty can create almond shaped eyes.

Hi.

In general, we try to AVOID changing the shape of the eyes when doing a blepharoplasty.  But in selected cases a canthopexy can create a more almond shaped eye, if that is what is best for the patient.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Can I Change my Eye Shape?

Changing the shape of an eye is possible.  This requires more advanced eyelid plastic surgery techniques.  Not all changes are possible nor desirable.  Your example of making the eye more almond shape can be done, however, everyone's anatomy is different and the results are not the same for all eyes.  Some eye shape changes, specifically the round eye that you mentioned, is more often a complication of eyelid surgery then a desired result.  You need to consult with your physician and go through each detail carefully to assure your best outcome.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unless patients have a lateral down-turned or hound dog...

Unless patients have a lateral down-turned or hound dog look to the lower lids with a scleral show or ectropion, the shape of the eye should not be altered.

Most patients are not interested in looking like the Cat Woman or changing the shape of their eyelids. The idea behind a blepharoplasty is to maintain the eyelid shape unless there is an overriding functional or aesthetic reason to change the shape.

Eye-openers

Ocassionaly, patients do ask for changes in the shape of the eye. The most common application of surgical techniques to alter eyelid shape is in "asian blepharoplasty" to create or accentuate the upper eyelid crease. This does appear to make the eyes more "open".

A tightening or repositioning of the inner or outer corners of the eyelids will also change the shape of the eyes. These procedures, called canthopexy and canthoplasty, respectively, can change the opening of the eyes and/or the angle of the opening.

Expertly placed botulinum toxin (Botox) can also open the eyelids and change their shape, although the results are temporary, lasting approximately 4 months.

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Changing the shape of the eyes

I routinely perform more than 100 Asian eye lid surgeries per year in my practice. The goal of the procedure is to create the double eyelid crease and make eyes rounder and more open. About 25% of these patients also require what is called a medial canthoplasty, where the corder of the eye next to the nose is opened up surgically to give the eyes a more open look.

So the answer to your question is "Yes", although obviously there are limitations to any surgical/medical procedures.

Kun Z. Kim, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery to change eye shape

Yes, there are 2 different operations that can alter the shape of an eye.

For people with an Asian eyelid configuration, it is possible to alter the shape to tey and be more Caucasian in appearance.  This can sometime be done with just local anaesthesia, but often requires a larger procedure depending on the changes desired.

For any patient, it is possible to change the shape of the eye by elevating the outer corner.  Sometimes this is done as part of upper and lower eyelid surgery.  Generally, it is not a goal of eyelid surgery to alter the shape of the eye.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Almond Eyesa

This is a good question. Depending on your exact anatomy we can perform a canthoplasty or canthoplexy with/without muscle suspension to give the eye a more almond shape. Every patient is different so some are good candidates and some are not. 

Blepharoplasty in conjunction with fat transfer really allows us to frame the eye which can give a nice result. 

You really need a good facial analysis with a physical exam to determine your options but the short answer is yes, we can change the shape of the eye (actually the eye lids but does give the eye a different look).

Hope this helps.

I have included a video of periorbital treatments.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid shape can be changed

Several techniques are available to change the shape of one's eyelids. It is important to have an in office consultation with an eyelid surgeon specialist (oculoplastic surgeon) to determine what the goals are, what are possible treatment options and to tailor surgery for the patient's specific problems. Not everyone has reasonable goals; therefore, a good surgeon will dissuade patients from making poor choices.

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon