Can I breastfeed?

Around 5 years ago, I foolishly got a silicone injection into my breasts (not an implant). I had a scan and the specialist said that there were some tumors but they were dormant and nothing to be worried about. I am now 7 mths pregnant and I am worried that the silicone could possibly be transferred into my breast milk and effect my newborn baby. Could you please give me some advice if this is a possibility and if so how likely? What should I do?

Get Test Done On Breast Milk

Because of your concerns, I recommend having your doctor order a test of your breast milk. It's better to have the peace of mind that it's healthy for you to breastfeed your baby. That said, do try not to worry too much: It's unlikely that the silicone injected 5 years ago (some of which appears to have spurred the formation of granulomas) will leach into the milk. Granulomas can form when the immune system responds to a foreign substance in the body — in this case, silicone — but they shouldn't pose a problem for breastfeeding. Good luck. 

Breastfeeding After Silicone Injections

The only way to know for sure if silicone is leaching into your breast milk is to have your milk tested. Any other statement on this is just conjecture. Congratulations and wishing you a smooth rest of your pregnancy and smooth delivery!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Silicone injections

As mentioned previously the lumps are likely to be silicone granulomas. It is unlikely that any silicone will be transferred via the breast milk. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Can I breast feed

Congratulations on your pregnancy. The tumors that you have are most likely silicone granulomas. These are a reaction to the silicone injections. It should be fine to breast feed your baby. Good luck.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon