Does the Halo laser change skin color? I am olive skinned and do not want turn white.

Safe in all skin types

Thanks for the great question. Halo is safe in all skin types and should not turn your skin white. Because it is a fractionated laser it is not effecting all of the pigment producing cells in your skin. Make sure to have an in person consultation with someone experienced using Halo for more information. Best of luck in your area!~Dr. Sieber

Skin color change with Halo?

Halo does not change skin color . We are very careful in our practice
and treat each patient and their skin conditions differently . We may
choose to place the patient onto certain products prior to halo to pre-
treat the skin prior to the halo . Also the halo is a tunable hybrid
laser that is capable of both ablative and non ablative treatments which
simply put means that we can adjust and fine tune the settings to come
to a individualized treatment parameter that is just right for that
patient to prevent hypo pigmentation or what they were speaking of as "
whiter " or lighter skin color .

Halo Laser and Skin Color

In expert hands the Halo Laser should not change your pigment. Consult in person with a Halo Laser expert to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Halo in Olive Skin

Thanks so much for your question and I can appreciate your concern. With appropriate settings, Halo should only remove unhealthy pigment such as that you have developed from sun exposure. It should not change your natural coloration or leave you white. I have used Halo for several years and in many patients with darker skin and have never had a patient turn white or very pale with it. Halo is actually one of the better lasers for olive skin.

That being said, any lasers need to be used with more caution in darker skin types, particularly if you have quite dark olive skin. Make sure that your physician has experience with both your skin type and the Halo laser to determine the best settings for your goals.

Rebecca Gelber, MD
Incline Village Physician