What Type of Antibiotics Are Prescribed After a Tummy Tuck, Liposuction As Well As a Fat Graft?

I am having a tummy tuck, lipo, and fat graft next month. I am wondering what type of antibiotics will be prescribed.

Tummy Tuck and Antibiotics

Prophalactic (preventative) antibiotics are warranted to minize the chance of infection. As it is being used as a preventative studies show that only 24 or less are indicated for most plastic surgical cases such as a tummy tuck (most clean surgeries for that matter). The first dose is always given just prior to your surgery. By using such a short time span there is less risk of problems with your gut/body. If you are concerned use a probiotic such as yogurt with active cultures while on antibiotics. Typically I prescribe a cephalosporin type of antibiotic if not allergic to this.

Antibiotics in plastic su

Each doctor has their own protocol for antibiotics which will be used during cosmetic surgery.  For most surgeons, one dose of antibiotics given intravenously during surgery is considered the standard.  I also give a five day course of oral antibiotics for tummy tucks because it is an operation with a higher infection risk.  Follow the directions given by your surgeon.  Each surgeons recommendations may be different depending on their experience.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Antibiotics After Surgery

For healthy plastic surgery patients without any contamination, the most important antibiotic is the one given IV within 1 hour of starting surgery, usually a cephalosporin called Ancef.

With very few exceptions, it is NOT necessary to give antibiotics after surgery as there is no evidence that they prevent infections but can cause complications (intestinal infections, allergic reactions, fungal infections, etc) as well as add additional costs to the procedure.

National quality measures used in most hospitals actually discourage the use of antibiotics for more than 24 hours after surgery in almost all cases. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Hello

Most surgeons use antibiotics intravenous and after surgery keflex. It depends on each persons allergies.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Antibiotics

Hi, most surgeons use an intravenous dose of cephalosporin just before the surgery followed sometimes by pills for a short period depending on the surgeon.

please follow the instruction of your own surgeon as he is in the best position to know what's best for you.

Antibiotics After a Tummy Tuck,

Most of the infectious disease and surgical scientific papers on the matter suggest a single intravenous dose of antibiotic given at the start of surgery, and repeated at four hours if the surgery is still proceeding. This clearly decreases the already low chance of wound infection. Addition dosing after surgery adds no further protection.

Some surgeons do prefer to add oral antibiotics after surgery until, for example, drains are removed, others don't. A call in to your surgeon will get the answer that will apply to you! Thanks and best wishes. 

Antibiotics are usually prescribed after cosmetic surgery

I usually prescribe a Keflex or Clindamycin for my cosmetic surgery patients.  These are broad-spectrum antibiotics that cover many of the common skin bacteria.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber...Baltimore Plastic Surgeon