Cons to IDEAL implant? To good to be true..?

Hi RS! Ive been looking to get breast implants for about a yr now. Doing tons of research I think saline will be better for me for health reasons. What are your thoughts on ideal? Cons to ideal? Sounds a little too good to be true.. A nurse pointed out to me that since these are so new, no one knows if they will succeed and stay in business so if something were to happen, there would be no warranty. Have also heard another doc say after working w them he prefers Reg saline. Anything helps Thanks!

Thanks for your question.  If you are not considering silicone as an option, there is now doubt that Ideal implants feel much more natural then saline.  They are definitely softer and ripple much less.  Hope that helps!

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

IDEAL implant

Natural feel is not the only thing women care about. The FDA approved intact silicone gel implants as safe. However, if a gel implant ruptures the implant and any gel should be removed including the surrounding capsule (capsulectomy). IDEAL® IMPLANT offers women natural feel without the risk of silent rupture. Women value the advantages of IDEAL® IMPLANT over silicone gel:
Rupture Advantages
  • No silent ruptures
  • Saline absorbed, free Silicone Gel remains
  • No MRI needed to detect ruptures
  • Look in the mirror to know implants are intact
  • Easy to remove and replaced if ruptured
Filler Advantages
  • Only saline inside for peace of mind
  • Safety of saline
  • No silicone gel in the body
Clinical Advantages
  • Youthful shape/contour
  • Lower capsule contracture rate
  • Higher rupture strength
  • Low rupture rate

Ideal implant

I have been very happy with this implant.  See no cons at this point.  I can not imagine why anyone would choose a traditional saline implant over Ideal.  These implants feel much more natural than saline and have virtually no rippling.  Hope this helps in your decision making.  Jane

IDEAL IMPLANT - to good to be true?

The IDEAL IMPLANT was FDA approved in 2014 and has been out in the market since August of 2015.  These new generation saline implants feel more natural than the old saline implants because of their unique design of multiple shells and baffles with two chambers of saline.  At the same time, they don't have the risks of silent ruptures as silicone implants do.  Sometimes, silicone implants have ruptures that are clinically undetectable (silent ruptures).  This is why the FDA recommends getting an MRI every couple of years if you have a silicone implant.  This is a point that often goes overlooked when choosing a breast implant.

In addition, the design of the IDEAL IMPLANT allow it to maintain its contour very well, reduce the issues of wrinkling, control the movement of saline (sloshing) and fit better onto the chest wall because of its low edges.  If you hold the implant upright, the upper portion of the implant does not collapse as many other implants do.  The IDEAL IMPLANT clinical trial of over five years with over five hundred patients demonstrate a patient satisfaction rate of nearly 95% and the lowest deflation and capsular contracture rates compared to other implants.

In summary, this new saline implant really gives you the best of both worlds: a natural feel as with silicone without any concerns over silicone silent ruptures since it's saline.  Further, it has an excellent safety profile based on extensive studies.  At the end of the day, you are putting a foreign object into your body, potentially for the rest of your life.  Safety should be a top priority in addition to achieving an excellent result.  Having used all types of implants, this new implant has really become an excellent option to offer.  I can't really think of a significant downside.  The company is solid financially and has received significant investment from top investor firms.  Hope that helps.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Seriously Consider the Ideal Implant

The Ideal Implant is here to stay.  In a pre-FDA approval study with more than 500 patients followed, this implant exceeded expectations with regard to rupture rates and rates of capsular contracture.  I have been personally very happy with the natural look and feel of these implants in my patients, and would highly recommend them to anyone considering silicone gel breast augmentation.  I do not know of any cons other than the fact that Ideal Implants are somewhat more expensive than traditional saline, however, I suspect that the price will come down as they become more popular and the company's sales volumes increase.

IDEAL Implants a Good OptionL

Thank you for your question. I would definitely recommend the IDEAL implant. Both the original saline implants and the new IDEAL implants are made of the same materials. The IDEAL implant may feel more like a silicone implants, with less chance for wrinkling. However, wrinkling is really not a problem if a saline implants is done properly. All implants can wrinkle, but I think it is least likely with the new IDEAL implants. The new IDEAL implant has 2 chambers of saline and internal baffles that allow it to maintain its contour very well, with good projection, and has less chance off rippling. In the original clinical trail of over 500 patients, with a followup of over 5 years, the patient satisfaction rate is near 95% with deflation and capsular contracture rates lower than that of other implant makers. It was FDA approved in 2014 and became commercially available in September of 2015. I have an extensive clinical experience with saline implants and believe the new IDEAL Implant to be the first major advancement in implants during my career. The patients I have treated with the IDEAL implants have all been very satisfied. I think the IDEAL implant will be a huge success and is here to stay. I hope this was helpful, good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon