Is the Ideal Implant pre-filled with saline?

Is the IDEAL Implant Pre-Filled

Thank you for your question. No, the IDEAL implant is filled at the time of surgery, usually after it is placed in the proper space behind the breast and usually under the muscle. I use the trans-axillary approach, so there is no scar on the breast after surgery.  I would definitely recommend the IDEAL implant. The new IDEAL implant has 2 chambers of saline and internal baffles that allow it to maintain its contour very well, with good projection, and has less chance off rippling. In the original clinical trail of over 500 patients, with a followup of over 5 years, the patient satisfaction rate is near 95% with deflation and capsular contracture rates lower than that of other implant makers. It was FDA approved in 2014 and became commercially available in September of 2015. I have an extensive clinical experience with saline implants and believe the new IDEAL Implant to be the first major advancement in implants during my career. The patients I have treated with the IDEAL implants have all been very satisfied. I hope this was helpful, good luck.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

The ideal saline breast implant.

The ideal saline breast implant is inserted deflated with 2 attached filling tubes. This allows for use of a smaller incision and is especially beneficial when being placed through the underarm.

The 2 chambers are individually filled through the 2 filling tubes with saline once the implant has been inserted and positioned. The valves seal as the filling tubes are removed. One benefit of this is the adjustability of the implant once it is in position permitting the surgeon to check and adjust both size and contour.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Ideal saline implant?

Saline implants are placed into your breast pocket first, then inflated to desired amount; saline implants are overinflated by approximately 20cc to avoid any wrinkling which will avoid the shell abrading itself and creating a hole and implant malfunction.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

The Ideal Implant is Filled after Pocket Placement

Because the Ideal Implant has a similar structure to the traditional saline breast implant, it is also inserted into the breast pocket empty, and then filled with sterile saline solution.  The advantages over silicone implants in this regard is that a smaller incision can be used with the Ideal Implant and breast size asymmetry can be easily corrected by filling the implants with different volumes of saline.

Filling the Ideal Implant

The Ideal Implant is one of the newer implants available in the U.S. today, and one of the benefits of its unique structure (multiple nested layers with internal baffling) is a softer feel than its traditional saline-filled counterpart.  It is, however, still a saline implant at heart - so at the time of surgery it is initially empty upon insertion.  Once the Ideal Implant is situated correctly in place, your surgeon customizes the fill volume with sterile saline to the size you had agreed upon.  As with traditional saline-filled implants, the Ideal Implant's flexibility for final fill volumes can be a great solution for patients who are looking to fine-tune slight asymmetries between their breast sizes.

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Filling the Ideal Implant

The Ideal implant is not pre-filled with saline, and is inserted to the breast pocket collapsed.  Once in the proper position, your surgeon will fill the implant to the best volume to create a natural feeling and appearing breast mound.

No the ideal implant is filled once it is in the pocket. This has the advantage of being able to titrate just the right size as well as being able to make a smaller incision for insertion.  They are now FDA approved and available and a great choice if you want the softness of silicone and the peace of mind of Saline implants.

The Ideal implant

is filled intraoperatively as mentioned by others.  It does feel much better than any other saline implant out on the market but it has a history of a much higher deflation rate. So choose wisely when it comes to picking your implants.

Curtis Wong, MD

Ideal Implant

Like all saline implants, it needs to be filled by the surgeon at the time of surgery, which means it has a filling valve in the shell.  This is a potential area of failure and deflation. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Saline implants

Saline implants come empty and e surgeon fills them at the time of surgery.  Pre-filled implants were once available but the company that makes them no longer does business the US.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD