After a Mommy Makeover (tummy tuck, BL and BA) when would you be cleared to tan?

Mystic spray tanning or uv tanning? I constantly see after photos nicely tanned so curious.

Tanning after surgery

Please ask your surgeon as you have given no additional information about how long ago your surgery was and any details.
Staying out of the sun or tanning beds is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.

Tanning after surgery?

I never recommend UV tanning as it increases your chance of skin cancer. Spray tanning should be okay after several weeks once all the incisions heal. I would make sure that all of your scars are hidden from the sun or you wear sun block to prevent any pigmentation of them . 

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Dr derby

It is best to wait at least 6-8 week after surgery before starting any treatments with tanning spray. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tanning after mummy makeover surgery

UV tanning is not recommended.  Your best option is spray tanning but its best to wait until six weeks after surgery assuming you don't have any wound healing issues.  Scars take 18 months to go through their maturation phase and exposing the scars directly to sunlight could results in raised, red, hypertophic scars.

Thank you for your question.  Because of the health concerns of UV radiation best to have spray tans instead which can start 6-8 weeks after surgery assuming no wound healing issues.  Hope that this helps.

Mommy make-over - when is tanning ok

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• A spray tan is your best option.
  • Your scars will be sun sensitive for at least 6 months and should be protected from sun during that time.
  • Since tanning is bad for the skin, after the scars have faded, you will probably tan but no doctor will recommend it.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

After a Mommy Makeover, when are you cleared to tan?

I would allow my patients to get a spray tan after 3-4 weeks from their surgery.  This is provided all incisions are  well healed.   Due to the harmful effects of the ultraviolet radiation on your skin, no plastic surgeon should recommend uv tanning, whether in the sun or a tanning booth.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Mommy Makeover Healing

Healing after the procedures will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred. No lifting or straining. At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks.

In regards to things like tanning and such I would recommend to ask your surgeon for his advice regarding how long to wait. Best of luck to you.