Lip fillers before or after a lip piercing? (Photo)

I am interested in getting lip fillers one day. I'm also interested in getting a vertical labret (pictured) soon. This piercing goes through the bottom lip. Would it be best to get this done BEFORE or AFTER the lip filling procedure? How long should the wait be between the two? Is it possible to get lip fillers with a fully healed labret in place? Is that recommended? Thank you!

Do lip fillers after piercing of lips

The problem one wants to prevent is infection. I would make sure the piercing is well healed and without infection before proceeding with the filler. That would be probably 3-4 weeks.

Lip fillers and lip piercing

Hello Sweetiepie95-
You can do fillers either before or after your piercing. Do whichever one that you desire more first. Lip fillers are more easily reversible and it may ultimately slightly alter the position or angle of the piercing, so I would probably do that first. It might be smart to let your lip heal for about a month before you do the piercing. Once the piercing is done, I would advise waiting about 1.5 months before any fillers. At some point in the future, the fillers will ultimately dissipate and you may want to refill them...thus getting fillers after a piercing. All good. 
Good luck.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Wait Two Weeks Between Piercing and Lip Fillers

From an aesthetic point of view, I'd suggest doing the fillers first, because they will change the shape of your lips and therefore might alter the type and placement of the labret. Please be sure your lips are completely healed from the dermal fillers before moving on to the piercing. I'd suggest at least two weeks between procedures. Be sure to have your lips augmented by a board-certified dermatologist who has expertise in lip anatomy and aesthetics to ensure best results.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Lip fillers or piercing first

I don't think it matters which when you do first, however you will want to wait a few weeks before you  go ahead with the second procedure.  

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Lip fillers before or after a lip piercing?

Thank you for your question.  I do not think that it will likely make a large difference, but consider what you would like the labret to look like with your lips with and without fillers.  If you were to have the labret placed after filler placement, the bar may be a bit longer, and may not cause much of an indentation into your lips. If you were to place the labret before filler placement, the bar may be a bit shorter, so when plumped the labret may indent your lips a bit more.  Definitely wait long enough to fully heal from the first procedure before doing the second. Hope this helps. 

Hi, since the lip pierecing is through the muscle and the lip augmentation filler is above you can do either first.  I do agree with you on letting the lip piercing heal completely (a couple of months) if you choose to do that first before having the lip filler (I prefer uisng Restylane, Restylane Silk or Juvederm).  Hope this helps.