"Bunched/bunching" Very Noticeable Upper Alarplasty Scars and Uneven Alars: Can These Still Be Fixed? I'm Very Unhappy. (photos)

I've already had these scars for a year 'cause of a failed primary alarplasty (the 3 photos - bottom portion of the collage). After a year, had the scars revised, (3 photos - upper portion) My question: 1. My PS told me to wait for a year "to see if we should still revise it". Obviously I need it. Can the bunched scars still be fixed? I've had them before but he didn't COMPLETELY remove it, he says HE DID, if he did then why's it still there? He's saying it will flatten? The scars didn't before

Alar reduction do's and don'ts

When the alar is reduced it is not advisable to cut along the side of the alar.  The scars are much more visible.  You case is a prime example of this.  The second is the sutures have been left in too long.  Sutures should be removed by day 4-5.  Leaving sutures you end up with "railroad track" marks.  Of course how good the scar looks is related to how precise the incisions were sewn together as well as how the individual scars.  Your case would need to wait to see how the scar looks after it settles and then reconsider revision. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty Scars

Dear please help me please, I personally do not place my alar plasty incisions this high and they are hidden so that they are not visible. With that said you will need to give them time to heal at this point and discuss your options with your surgeon regarding scar gels, lasers or other available treatments. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Alar scars

I would consider any scar gel used daily in these areas and proceed with deem abrasion. Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after alarplasty

Thank you for your question.  It is important to consult with your surgeon with any questions or concerns you may have. Scarring does in fact take up to a year to resolve. There are various topical silicone treatments and lasers that you could use to help minimize the scarring but again, i would consult with your surgeon to come up with the best option for you.

Good luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Noticeable alarplasty scars

Many times alar base reductions are not taken up as high in the crease.  I would recommend using a scar gel for a few months.  At the 3-6 month period, mechanical dermabrasion can be performed to help "sand" the area and mask the irregularity.  Discuss options with your surgeon.

Alar scars

I'm sorry you are dealing with this situation. Since you are relatively early in the healing process at this point, I would give it some more time. I would use a scar cream of some kind as well as consider laser treatments in the upcoming months to improve healing. Continue follow up with your surgeon. 
Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sorry for your problem and the best advice is to wait a year but use some type of scar cream or Siligen cut to fit while they are healing
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Alar scar

At 2 weeks, it is very early in the scar formation process.  I would expect that at 3 months - you will see significant improvement in the appearance of your scar.  Based on your current photos, I think there is a good chance that you will not require another revision. Hang in there!

Jon Kurkjian, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon