Buffalo hump removal, looking for the right doctor!

I'm specifically looking for a surgeon who has done several surgeries for buffalo hump removal. I would also get other area done. I'm based in Alberta Canada but I can travel if I can find an experienced doctor.
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Buffalo Hump Reduction

In the correct surgical hands, the Buffalo Hump is very easily removed with laser-assisted power-assisted liposuction techniques. I have performed this procedure many times and it's always very rewarding and successful. It's performed in the office, only one 2 mm incision required, under local anesthesia, no labs required, typically no medical clearance needed, and practically no downtime.  

Buffalo Humps do well with power assisted liposuction .

Liposuction of the buffalo hump is an easy procedure to undergo under local with no stitches and almost no downtime.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Buffalo Hump

The typical buffalo hump is composed of fibrous fat on the posterior base of the neck. It commonly develops from use of certain medications, most commonly corticosteroids. Liposuction works very well to correct the buffalo hump deformity. Due to the fibrous nature of the fat, I recommend power-assisted liposuction with smaller cannulas.

Buffalo Hump

The Buffalo Hump deformity of the back of the neck is best treated by liposuction as opposed  to an open incisional approach. It is a more fibrous type of fat but is removed well with any of the variety of liposuction devices that are available. Having used many types I find the power-assidted liposuction (PAL) works as well as any other liposuction device.

Buffalo Hump Removal

This should be easy for a well trained liposuction surgeon.  Actually this was one of the first areas I did, as most of my patients were HIV postivie when I first started (9 years ago) and my clinic treated this every day.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Buffalo hump surgery

Thank you for your question. Treating the buffalo hump is commonly done by liposuction. However, if this is a recurrent concern for you, then you may want to consider surgery to excise it as well.

#Liposuction - Buffalo hump removal

This is often amenable to treatment with liposuction, of which there are many different kinds.  Some surgeons have preferences for certain types of liposuction but the hump can be treated well with the majority of those modalities.

You should contact several plastic surgeons that you're willing to travel to and see if you can do a "Skype" consult.  You may be able to fly in to the doctor's city (if you can't find one nearby), have the procedure the following day, and only need to remain there a few days afterwards for recovery.  That, though, will depend on the specific arrangement that each surgeon has.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100
@RealSelf

If the Buffalo hump is comprised of subcutaneous fat, then a liposuction should be a good option.  In most cases the fat in the area is quite dense and fibrous.  Therefore, an energy assisted liposuction (ultrasound/Vaser or laser/Smart lipo) will probably work best.  Seek out a plastic surgeon, who is board certified and has extensive liposuction experience.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon