9 weeks post tradition lipo feeling lumpy, is this normal ? (photos)

When I run my hands across my stomach or stand I can feel uneven lumps is this normal healing? How soon can a revision be done?  My procedure was done by a board certified surgeon.

Healing

Healing after liposuction k is usually pretty straight forward. There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery. The later phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens. It is after this time that we are getting close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient.

9 weeks post tradition lipo feeling lumpy, is this normal

Thank you for submitting your question. Swelling (lumps and bumps) after liposuction will last for many weeks after surgery. Final results take 6-12 months. Continue to use your contour garment, minimize activities and lymphatic massage help with the swelling. Discuss your concerns with your Plastic surgeon.

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

This does look irregular. However, it is very common to have bruising and swelling for weeks to months after liposuction procedures. What is most important is that you follow your surgeons post operative instructions and continue compression. If you are concerned, lymphatic massage and Velashape or Venus Legacy treatments can be used to improve the swelling and help the skin tighten. My patients start treatments right away and it improves the long term results. Speak to your physician if you are concerned. Best, Dr. Emer.

Post liposuction irregularities

Irregularities after liposuction can happen. It is important to see your doctor to review and discuss these. In some patients, TiteFx or Fractora Plus can help to make the skin even but you always need the assessment and review first.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumpiness at seven weeks

Some lumpiness and uneven outcomes are common in the early postoperative healing process after liposuction.

This is typically seen between 10 days to six weeks.

In my experience, results are close to final by three months. Expect no change after six months.

Patients who are prone to having bumps or uneven outcomes often have some skins laxity such as from pregnancy prior to the procedure, procedures done aggressively or procedures that simply were not done evenly.

At times, revision surgery can help, though it is of limited use other times.

Revision surgery becomes much more difficult if the initial procedure was done aggressively or if areas have been over-liposuctioned.

Personally, I never perform revisions until at least six months after the initial procedure.

Follow up with your plastic surgeon to hear what he or she recommends.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

7 weeks post tradition lipo feeling lumpy, is this normal ?

It is normal to feel some lumpiness this early after liposuction. There's swelling and tissue inflammation. Based on the limited view photos, I'm more concerned about the unnatural grooving across the lower abdomen than the lumpiness. These areas were over suctioned and you most likely will end up with oblique grooves across the abdomen. It is fine to place depressions in certain ares, such as the border between the lateral rectus muscle and the obliques, or a slight depression in the mid-line from the breast bone to the belly button. All these emphasize an athletic looking abdomen. Your grooves are unnatural. You need to wait at least 6 months for a possible revision. At that point, traditional liposuction might not be able to give good improvement. In my practice, I do a significant number of secondary liposuctions after patients had suboptimal surgery elsewhere. I use the VASER to release the scars and often employ fat grafting to improve the results. These are very difficult to correct completely. That is why is so important to choose a board certified plastic surgeon and not a cosmetic surgeon with different surgical or even non-surgical backgrounds, poor training and understanding of tissue healing. Good luck, need to be patient now. Too early an intervention will further detract from your results.

Lumps after liposuction

Thank you for your question and photos. Your body will develop scar tissue where the fat was removed. Just like the external scarring it will take several months for these areas to mature and soften. I generally recommend scar massage and consistent pressure garment to help speed recovery. At 8 -10 months if your results are still uneven then you may want to consider another procedure. 

Best regards,
Dr. Stutman 

Ross Stutman, MD

Recovery after liposuction

It is normal to feel lumps after liposuction. When we perform liposuction we move the cannula evenly and check carefully that there are no uneven areas. At the end of the liposuction procedure, (done properly) there should be no lumps. 

Still, the healing process is quite different, your body will form fluid collections and fibrous areas, and 7 weeks is too early to judge your final result. 

Wear your garment/binder as directed, be patient with your body, and don;t judge your result for the first time until 3 months. If there are still uneven areas at that point, talk to your surgeon. 7 weeks is much too early to consider revision.