Concerned with belly button after Tummy Tuck with Lipo to flanks, will it shrink? (photo)

I am 10 days post op tummy tuck with lipo to flanks. Prior to surgery, my two previous pregnancies left me with a saggy unflattering BB. So far my new belly button has me concerned. I'm happy with the roundness of it, however what are the multiple growth/nubs protruding from it?! I know it's very very early in the healing process. I guess I was expecting more of a hole. Can I expect these multiple protrusions will shrink??

Concerned with belly button after Tummy Tuck with Lipo to flanks, will it shrink?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and photo.  Yes your bellybutton will definitely shrink and pull inward over the next 3-4 weeks.  The excessive swelling that you see now is fluid back up caused by the constriction of the incision around the bellybutton.  This will be much different in another 3-4 weeks.

Recent tummy tuck - will my belly button improve

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• You are very swollen at this point and your belly button will not look normal.
  • It looks fine for this stage -
  • The swelling will slowly subside - chances are it will long time in the end.
  • The 'nubs' may be caused by the sutures holding the belly button in place -
  • Double check with your surgeon at your next visit but regardless, the appearance is temporarly
  • Hope this helps.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Belly button postop

It takes time for swelling to subside after an abdominoplasty tummy tuck. Your belly button distortion is normal for the healing process. It is likely to subside over the next 6 to 24 months. See you plastic surgeon for his advise. Good luck...

Post-Op Healing Period and Belly Button

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, if your belly button was where the incision was made, it is very likely that the healing is still in progress. If you find yourself concerned or worried about the healing process at all then it would be good to schedule a follow-up appointment with your surgeon to have the area examined to make sure that the scars and incisions are healing properly. Remember that your follow-ups should be included in the cost of your procedure so you should never hesitate to contact your surgeon with questions or concerns. Good luck!

Belly Button

Hi there, 

Thanks for the photo, congratulations. It is normal to be concerned about wounds early on, their final appearance is rarely obvious from their initial appearance. Its a little early to tell how your belly button will eventually turn out. Patience is the key, wait and I am fairly confident it will look fine. Good luck. 

Belly Button

I think it's very important to stay patient during the recovery period and not try get overly concerned about contour until at least 3-6 months after the surgery to allow for the swelling to decrease and body to heal. There are always options as far as revisions are concerned if there is an issue you would like to address.  Good Luck!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

10 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (10 days post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If  after six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD