Bulging vein on left cheekbone. Would a vascular surgeon be the right doctor to address this or am I stuck with it?

I am a 62 yo female and for a few years now I have been troubled by a small pea shaped bulge in a vein about an inch from the corner of my left eye and sitting right on my cheekbone. I had a fat transfer done but it does not seem to have been effective now the swelling is subsiding (3 weeks post treatment). 

Doctor Answers 3

Bulging vein on cheekbone is treatable

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If it is indeed bulging as you describe, ultacision microphlebectomy would be a rather straightforward treatment. I combine it with sclerotherapy immediately before excision to minimize bruising. Expect to spend $1500 to $2000 for such treatments on the face. look for a vein specialist or a plastic surgeon who is comfortable dealing with vein problems on the face. 

Vein specialist.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are several doctors who can treat this vein but a vein specialist or vascular surgeon would be appropriate.  Depending on the size of the vein and its location, there are several options for treatment including sclerotherapy, laser or microphlebectomy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Blue Vein on Cheek

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is difficult to assess your blue cheek vein without a photo but it sounds as though this would respond to laser treatment. Fat transfer does not address veins so I would not have expected improvement of the vein following this procedure. I would recommend consultation with a board certified physician experienced in using the 1064nm laser for vascular treatments. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.