Nasolabial folds normal for a 32 yo? (photos)

I am 32 years old and embarrassed by my nasolabial folds. I also have a mild marionette line I my left side. Is it normal for the folds to be this deep for someone my age? I am considering Juvaderm injections.

Juvaderm in the cheeks

Juvaderm is a great choice for filling the nasolabial folds and marionette lines.  Unfortunately, because of genetics, you can have this problem even as young as you are.  Always seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Nasolabial folds normal for a 32 yo?

Patients are starting to come in at a younger age to help reduce and prevent signs of aging. Your Nasolabial folds look normal to me. You can add a bit of filler to help minimize the folds, typically it will last 8-12 months and it will also help stimulate collagen. Because you are a young adult, I would suggest starting with a small amount to give you a natural result.  
Kenneth Hughes M.D

34 year old and nasolabial folds

Although your NLF aren't that deep, if they bother you, you certainly can get them filled with Juvederm or Restylane. Marionette lines can be treated at the same time. Usually late 30's is when volume loss is first noticed. I would actually first treat the cheeks because there is volume loss there too. By volumizing the cheeks, the NLF often don't need filling.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Nasolabial Folds

Dear BadMarie,Blame it on genes, but know that you don't have to live with it!  Filler injections (I prefer Restylane) provide immediate and long-lasting results. That's why so many people love them!All the best,Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Nasolabial folds normal for a 32 y/o?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat in front of (nasolabial folds) and some below the cheek.  In addition the chin is weak. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. Liposuction can reduce the excess fat for further shaping of the cheeks. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery as well as cheek augmentation.

Hope this helps.

Cheek Fat Loss & Descent Are Largely Responsible For Smile Lines & Marionette Lines

First, let me emphasize that the development of smile lines and marionette lines is very much linked to loss of volume in the malar (cheek) fat pads and their descent downward and inward toward the smile lines and marionette lines (giving rise to them). This usually begins occurring somewhere between ages 20-40. So, the early stages of the appearance of these two types of lines at this stage in your life is hardly unusual or surprising. Heredity plays an important role in the rate of the appearance of these folds. Since volume loss is the underpinning, volume repletion, which can be easily accomplished in just a matter of a few minutes with the injection of volumizing fillers, such as Voluma XC--which I would use in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice and Stylage XXL, which I would choose in my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers and volumizers are available--constitute the most appropriate and natural approach to ameliorating the problem. In general, the results of revolumization are immediate and typically engender an immediate "Wow!" response.Since relatively expensive Fraxels, RF devices, and peels do not directly address the underlying volume loss problem, they do not play a role in my opinion in addressing volume loss-related folds and jowl formation, such as clearly seems to be the beginnings of the case here. Best to consult with a board certified aestbetic physician with experience and expertise in nonsurgical facial rejuvenation using injectable fillers and volumizers and avoid medspas, etc. that tend to hawk the "latest and greatest," "next best" device or machine that is being marketed to treat everything.. Make sure to ask to see his/her before and after photos before proceeding. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Nasolabial folds/age

I do not believe your nasolabial folds look unusually deep for your age but we treat patients who are much younger than you for these type of conditions.  At our office we use several types of fillers.  An in office analysis would be best to decide what course of action would be best for you as opposed to just reviewing pictures  I would urge you to go to an experienced board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for this analysis.  Best of luck. Dr. Adrienne Stewart MD FAAD

Adrienne E. Stewart, MD
Denver Dermatologic Surgeon

Nasolabial Folds - Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

There are a lot of options for improving the nasolabial folds and this often means fillers for the folds themselves but also lifting around the mouth and cheeks to build underlying anatomical support. In our practice we combine sculptra with other fillers "layered" on top to get the most conservative natural look.  Please see a facial sculpting expert.  Best, Dr. Emer

Treatment for he nasolabial folds and marionette lines

Thank you for your question badmarie. Nasolabial folds and marionette lines are common signs of aging that we address. I have treated patients as early as in their twenties with fillers to restore volume loss. Often times one syringe of Voluma in the cheeks will restore the volume that is naturally lost in that area and pull up on the nasolabial folds and marionette lines. This also restores the youthful apple of the cheek that is not addressed when products such as Juvederm and Restylane are used directly in the folds. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Nasolabial folds at 32

Hello, and thanks for your question. Your nasolabial folds are well within the expected limits for your age. This is largely genetic. If they are bothersome to you they can be softened with a hyaluronic acid filler. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon. 
Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon