I had juvederm done yesterday and one side of face is fuller than the other. What can I do to make it even?

What is normal swelling after filler injections?

It's too soon , only 24 hours, to judge symmetry after Juvederm injection. Ideally you should wait at least two weeks for all the swelling to clear up. Even mild swelling can give the appearance of asymmetry. It's helpful to compare pre and post injection photos.  Rushing to have it removed or having additional injections before the swelling has subsided can potentially either take away a potentially great result or in the latter, create an symmetry. 

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

I had juvederm done yesterday and one side of face is fuller than the other.

The best thing you can do is wait.  You can have uneven swelling from the injections to your face.  This is not unusual.  Just be patient for a few days before deciding to do anything!

Swelling (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Too soon to judge

Thank you for the question. It is impossible to judge results from Juvederm injections at 1 day. Wait 2 weeks and if you still see asymmetry, then follow up with your doctor who can add a little more to even make your face more symmetrical. Good luck.

Juvederm and Uneven facial fillers

Juvederm is a great product for replacing lost facial volume.  There can appear to be facial unevenness or swelling after the procedure for up to two weeks.  You should wait two weeks and if there still appears to be asymmetry return to your treating physician for more filler to correct it.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results who is experienced with facial fillers.

Juvederm for cheeks

It is possible to have some swelling and bruising after Juvederm injections.  It takes about two weeks to see your full result.  If you are not happy with the result after two weeks, please return to your doctor to see if you require more filler.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm

I think that you should give it  a week or two to see how the swelling subsides from the injection before treating any asymmetry.

Juvederm

Hi Rose Ann, thank you for your question. It is possible that the asymmetry you are describing is due to swelling. I suggest waiting two weeks for the results to settle, if you are still concerned, follow up with your plastic surgeon and they will be able even out the appearance. Good luck.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Sides After Juvederm

For right now you simply need to wait. It's possible that swelling on one side may be greater than the other. You need to wait for one to two weeks for the swelling to subside. If there is still unevenness, more Juvederm can be injected into the low side to correct the discrepancy.             jlr 

John Louis Ratz, MD
Clermont Dermatologist

Asymmetric swelling after filler usually resolves

It will take about a week for things to settle down. At that time, re-evaluate. Most often it gets better. If it is not, go see your doctor. Keep in mind that most people are not symmetric, and it is often only noticed after getting fillers. Looking at photos is key to understanding this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD