Whats the fastest way to build your hemoglobin level from 11.3 to 13.0?

im planing on have a tt,with lipo and maybe a breast lift just got back my lab works and my hemoglobin level is 11.3 i need to be at least a 12.0 to have my sx.how can i build it up quickly can i ask my primary doctor for iron shots????

Ways to increase hemoglobin

First of all, 11.3 is not a terrible hemoblogin count. The ways to increase hemoglobin include taking iron, folate, and vitamin B12. Ask your primary for a prescription. I do not think iron shots are necessary. The other thing to check is to make sure you are not losing blood. The most common is via your period. Are you periods heavy or pronged? Your hemoglobin could be a little low if checked after your period. Contact your plastic surgeon to see how firm he is on a level of 13.

Eric Weiss MD

Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Hemoglobin level for surgery

Ideally the hemoglobin level should be within normal range which for women starts at 12.

If you are having all three procedures performed at the same time then I would recommend using Iron tablets daily two or three times a day depending on the dosage and the type of iron as recommended by your doctor. That usually brings up the Hgb level by 1 over a two week period

Best of luck...

Dr. Khuthaila

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Low hemoglobin

There are several options to increase the hemoglobin levels:

Iron pills, Iron shots (intramuscular), Iron infusion (IV), eritropoyetina, and iron enriched food items (spinach, beets, red meat, liver), autodonation-autotransfusion

All of them are doable, and will depend on how close your surgery date is.

If your doctor is willing to help, the iron infusion is the best and you may have twice or three a week.

You will be OK

Dr. Cardenas

Using Iron Supplements...

It’s extremely important that patients who undergo large combination cosmetic procedures have adequate hemoglobin levels prior to surgery.Significant blood loss following these procedures is rare, but does occasionally occur.For this reason, it’s important that patients have a reasonable starting hemoglobin.
It’s important that low hemoglobin levels be addressed prior to surgery.In most cases this involves treatment with iron supplements.These are usually given with iron pills for 3 to 4 weeks before surgery.When these steps are taken, most patients see their hemoglobin levels rise to acceptable levels before surgery.

Normally your Iron level should be at 12 before any surgical procedure. So the fastest way to raise your level is to take Iron tablets 3 times a day, one with every meal. Start doing this at least 3 weeks before the surgial procedure.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Hemoglobin level before surgery

There are many options in increasing blood hemoglobin level including ion pills that are found over-the-counter as well as prescription grade pills or injections. Depending on the procedures that you are planning on having, any of the above or the combination of those maybe necessary. Hemoglobin of 11.3's not necessarily too low to have elective surgery with minimal blood loss.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS