Is it OK to do a breast reduction/lift before having kids? Does a reduction come automatically with a lift?

Hey all, was wondering 2 things: 1) It makes sense to wait after you have kids before undergoing any type of breast surgery i understand it, but i d like to know in terms of medical implications if its dangerous to have a breast reduction before getting to nurse or its just not advised for esthetic reason as pregnancy will erase any work done? 2) does a breast reduction automatically comes with a breast lift or a breast lift has to be demanded on the side for a perky result ? (34D) Thanks all!

It's all about what you want

This is a really good question - thank you. Lots of girls come to see us & say 'I've been told I have to wait until I've had children before I can have my breast reduction'. We don't agree. It's all about information and choice. Having large breasts can really impact on your life, affecting your confidence and self esteem. Breast reduction can help with these problems. The evidence shows that breast reduction has one the highest satisfaction scores of any plastic surgery procedure. Can you still breast feed after treatment? Yes and your plastic surgeon will discuss this with you. Will your breasts change after treatment if you then have children and breast feed? Yes and you might ask for firther treatment such as an uplift (mastopexy) in the future. Finally, breast reduction is designed to make your breasts smaller and a nicer shape and includes uplift and nipple repositioning. After breast reduction girls often thank us and say that the procedure has changed their lives!

Leeds Plastic Surgeon

Surgery before children is a personal choice

A reduction always involves a lift.  Whether or not you have children first is completely up to you.  Whether or not you can breast feed is not predictable.

Thank you for the question. Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise. Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages,  when patients have reached their long-term stable weights.  In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure). There are patients who present with “juvenile” breast hypertrophy will benefit from breast reduction surgery ( for both physical and psychosocial reasons) at an early age ( even as teenagers). Patients should consider  carefully the pros and cons of the procedure as well as the potential need for further surgery if the breasts “regrow” in size. If at all possible, it is best to wait until after completing pregnancies before undergoing breast reduction surgery. Again, doing so will minimize the chances that patients will require further surgery after pregnancy related breast changes. On the other hand, it can be argued that,  patients with breast hypertrophy benefit from breast reduction surgery prior to pregnancy ( to prevent the symptoms that may occur as the breasts grow even larger during and after pregnancy/breast-feeding).  However, in the interests of avoiding additional surgery,  I feel that it is in most patients best interest,  to wait until pregnancies have been completed and a long-term stable weight has been reestablished.

When a patient undergoes breast reduction surgery, breast lift "automatically" occurs also.  The reverse does not hold true. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Breast Reduction/Lift

Yes, you are correct. It is for aesthetic reasons that you should wait.  However, if it is more important to you to have surgery before breast feeding, this is acceptable.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery

All reductions come with a lift. This surgery is done any time. Pregnancy will change the result - but if you have huge breasts, a reduction can be life changing. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast reduction

Thanks for reaching out.  If you are planning on having children soon, it is best to wait to have breast surgery.  However breast reduction has not been shown to change the rate of being able to breast feed.  As for your second question, yes a breast reduction comes with a lift.I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and lift

it's the reverse. The lift is part of the reduction procedure.  It is not dangerous to undergo the surgery prior to having children. Excessive weight gain during pregnancy may affect the aesthetic result as would breast feeding.  A 34 D is highly unlikely to be covered by insurance so you would have leeway in sizing. Best wishes. 

Breast lift/reduction

Another way to put it, is that when one performs a lift or reduction, many times similar techniques are used and one can perform a small reduction with the lift or a lift with the reduction which is customary. Good luck.

Breast Reduction Before or After Pregnancy?

Thank you for the questions and congratulations on your decision to undergo #breastreduction. Many women that experience complications related to excessive breast size, struggle with the same questions. 

Women that elect to have #mammoplasty, also will require a lift. The lift is part of the procedure at no extra cost. A #lift is necessary to ensure proper placement of the #nipples and can allow for areola reduction if needed. 

If you're thinking about having your breasts reduced but want to be able to #breastfeed your baby, you may want to consider postponing surgery until after you've weaned your last child. A large majority of women can breastfeed after breast reduction surgery, but may experience decreased production. 

The other thing to consider is that pregnancy and lactation can change the size and shape of your breasts. During pregnancy, the volume of the breast tissue generally increases as you gain weight. Typically, this reduces after delivery or when the baby is weaned. There are some women though that this is not the case. Some women complain of larger breasts and many complain of "droopy" breasts.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. If you are far too uncomfortable now, you may want to consider surgery sooner than later. The best advise I can give you is to schedule a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who will be qualified to evaluate your current breast shape and volume. They will also be able to explain all of your options. Good luck!