Is it possible to get a breast reduction from a size 34DD to whatever size as low as a surgeon can get them?

I am 20 years old I weigh 129 I'm 5' 4" and I'm in a 34DD. I've been told exercise will help...but it is painful to workout with my breasts. I also have a problem with slouching because of my boobs and its given me quite a bit of backpain and shoulder pain i really want to get a reduction

Breast reduction outcomes

Hi, Thank you for your question. It is possible to reduce your breasts to a smaller cup that will be proportional to your body frame. Most importantly, the ability to breastfeed, maintain nipple sensitivity and long term results should be considered in someone as young as you. The Horndeski Method has been developed to provide young women like yourself a better alternative to the old Wise patterned technique that relies on the skin to hold the shape and position of the breasts. Skin is simply not strong enough to hold things in place regardless of weight. THM reshapes and anchors the breast tissue to the chest muscles to secure it for long term results and to relieve pain associated with pendulous breasts. Vertical incisions are no longer required with this technique. Women enjoy long term results with nipple sensitivity and the ability to breast feed in the future. I hope this is helpful.  Best wishes,

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Life changing surgery

A breast reduction will change your life.  You are not overweight and it sounds like you are very symptomatic.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon, they will discuss what size is possible.  Bonus -- a lift is part of a breast reduction, so say goodbye to uncomfortable support bras.  Good luck, Jane

Breast reduction

Certainly the breasts can be made smaller, but there are limitations in that one has to have enough tissue attached to allow the nipple areola complex and the skin flaps to survive while also trying to achieve a nice shape.  Best of luck.

Breast Reduction

Dear Rory356:  Based on your description, you could be a good candidate for a breast reduction with lift.   Of course, a physical exam and consultation is required to give you any formal recommendations.  A breast reduction will both reduce the heaviness of your breasts (reducing your size) and also help lift up your breasts to correct any sagging you may have.   The procedure generally takes between 2.5-4 hours and is typically outpatient surgery.  The recovery is fairly quick.  My patients are quite comfortable to return to a desk job in 4-5 days.  But no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4 weeks.   Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  Best wishes,Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast Reduction

It seems like you are a good candidate for a breast reduction. This is often covered by insurance but surgeons usually have to meet a minimum amount of tissue that is removed. It may be close to a pound per side. Most surgeons can safely reduce to a B or C cup. Meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and determine if you are a good candidate. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for a breast reduction

Thanks for your question. It sounds like you would be an ideal candidate for breast reduction. You are in good health and are not overweight. Your breasts are disproportionately large for your frame and are affecting your quality of life. The breast reduction will be able to resuspend the breasts with a lift and reduce the excess breast tissue. The amount that is available for removal is something that will have to be determined by an exam. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Is it possible to get a breast reduction...?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. 

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” or "as small as possible" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction

Your surgeon can theoretically remove as much or as little breast tissue as you would desire. With your height and weight, bringing you down from a DD to say a C might be a reasonable size to aim for. This type of a size reduction would help reduce the pain you have during exercise and your back/shoulder/neck pain associated with your large breasts.