Is it possible for lip fillers to burst out?

Ive just gotten juvaderm lip fillers yesterday and today while eating ive noticed a small amout of jelly like substance on my food and one of the puncture sites look red and deflated. What should I do? Is this normal?

Juvederm Leaking from Lip

Yes this is possible. This can happen close to time of injection. I suggest you make an appointment to see your treating physician to have this resolved.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Juvederm Extrusion

I have seen this happen twice in 10years, so very unusual.  Both times it was through mucus membranes (once via the inner pink lip, the other into the lower conjunctiva of the eyes)  Both times there was inflammation (redness) of the skin.  Both resolved without complication.  Unfortunately, the material is lost and re-injection maybe necessary.  However, on one of these occasions it was actually the second time ( two different providers) for a patient and the material extruded again.  I cannot identify anything in the injection technique that leads to this.

See your surgeon

I have not experienced any extrusion of Juvederm post injection in the lips, or anywhere else for that matter.    With that being said, you need to get back in to see your doctor as soon as possible to determine if there is an issue.  Very best wishes to you.

Gregory D. Roberts, MD
Richardson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler leaking from lip

This would only be possible very close to the time of injection. I suppose it is possible in your case. I would think only a very small amount would be able to extrude from a prior injection site.

Steven F. Weiner, MD