I want more defined cheek bones. My face is quite round and does not have much definition. What would you suggest?

Would you suggest cheek fillers or Botox in cheeks? And what is the difference between the two?

Cheek bones and best filler

If you want more cheekbones and more definition I would definitely recommend Voluma or Restylane Lyft. Botox will only work on lines that are "moving" such as the forehead and around the eyes.  Best, Dr. Green

Defined cheeks can be created with fillers

At my practice, we often create more prominent, defined cheekbones through the use of fillers such as Radiesse, Restylane Lyft or Voluma. Radiesse is a filler which works by stimulating collagen production in the skin, leading to volume restoration and more defined cheeks when injected properly. Voluma and Restylane Lyft are hyaluronic acid gel fillers that can provide immediate results by adding volume to the cheeks. Botox on the other hand is a neuromodulator, which works by relaxing targeted muscles in order to allow wrinkles to smooth out. I sometimes inject the masseter with neuromodulator, when appropriate, to recontour the face and emphasize the cheekbones. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist in order to have an in-person evaluation and come up with a custom treatment plan.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Defined Cheekbones

Botox works by weakening the muscles that cause wrinkles. Based on your goals, you may want to consider a dermal filler. Injected dermal filler focus on restoring volume and rejuvenating the look of your features.

I recommend you book a consultation with a qualified injector, to ensure you're a good candidate for this procedure.

Take care. 

Facial definition and Botox, fillers

Facial contouring can be done with a combination of fillers and Botox together.  We can obtain significant cosmetic improvement using this approach.  Examining the entire facial anatomy is important, even though your area of concern is your cheeks.  Treating the surrounding areas can create contrasts that will enhance the appearance of your cheek bones.  I recommend an in-person consultation with an experienced Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for a more detailed treatment plan.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Better facial definition

Botox  is not even an option for this area unless you are putting it in the masseter muscle at the back of your jawline.  Fillers such as Radiesse or Voluma may give you fullness for a year or two and then they will have to be re-done.  Fat is another option as a filler.  Fat is quite fragile and may re-absorb if it doesn't develop a good blood supply in its new location, however, if it survives, it is permanent.  Finally, implants are available for several areas of the face and can be inserted through several inconspicuous incisions.  The risk of implants is that they may shift with time. 

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Hi, I have performed many cheek augmentations and facial shaping using dermal fillers and facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants).  Based on the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round anteriorly (in the front).  Cheek augmentation with cheek implants can create full, round cheeks in the front that will feminize the entire face.  

If your face is round, this typically means that there is excess facial fat below and in front of the cheeks which themselves may actually be flat or even concave.  Facial liposuction would be done to reduce this fat to further shape the cheek area.  I round faces, it's unusual to be able to use a dermal filler to create the appropriate shaped cheeks as dermal fillers add volume making the face larger, not smaller overall.  Hope this helps.  

Fillers For High Cheek Bones

Dear Rosie, Thank you for posting your interesting question. If you want fillers to create high cheek bone definition, I would suggest fillers that are considered high G' fillers that lift the cheeks like Radiesse, Restylane Lyft and Voluma. Radiesse is a calcium based filler and Restylane Lyft and Voluma are considered hyaluronic acids. Botox is not a filler. Botox is a neurotoxin liquid that is usually injected to smooth facial wrinkles and does not provide any filling at all. For example, Botox is injected between the eyebrows to relax the so called 11's that form and make somone look angry. I recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, experienced with fillers, who can listen to your goals, examine you, answer all of your questions and make the appropriate recommendations to give you the high cheek bones and facial definition that you desire. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Cheek Bone Definition -- Radiesse, Voluma, Bellafill with Sculptra as Foundation; alternative fat transfer or implants

i suggest seeing a filler expert this can be treated easily with more robust fillers or fat to give contour and shape.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fat grafting can be a wonderful option in many cases.  Fat is liposuctioned from the abdomen or some other donor site.  It is centrifuged to concentrate the fat graft (which is stem cell rich) and then can be injected in the face to add volume.  Having used this technique for over twenty years you can often achieve long lasting, and natural looking, volume enhancement without the use of cheek implants.

Enhancement of Cheek Bones

To achieve the goal you are describing, fillers such as Juvederm Voluma or Restylane Lyft are likely your best options.  Botox relaxes muscles and does not add volume.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon