I'm 18 yrs old. Are my Breasts Tubular?

Hello, I'm an 18 year old female and ever since I was about 14 I've been concerned that my breasts are tubular. However, when my nipples are erect (as pictured) they look perfectly fine in my opinion. It's almost as if the tissue gets pinched back and creates a rounder shape. But I don't have naturally erect nipples, they're quite puffy. In your professional opinion, are they tuberous? Because I'm young, do I still have a chance of developing more rounded breasts in the future?

Tubular or Tuberous breasts can be corrected

The breast augmentation photo gallery on my website include before and after images of women with tubular breasts before surgery with very natural looking breasts after surgery. I attached a link below. Many women with tubular breasts wonder if they can have "normal" looking breasts. The answer is yes. be certain you fiund a plastic surgeon with expertise in this area.
In many breast augmentation patients, the inframammary fold needs to be lowered in order to allow the implant to rest at a level that appears natural relative to the position of the nipple and areola. Ideally the implant should be centered directly behind the nipple-areola complex (NAC). In profile, the natural-appearing breast is not convex in the upper pole, and an excessively convex and overly full upper pole is a dead giveaway that a breast implant sits below the skin. In addition, inadequate release of the inferior origin of the pectoralis major will allow the muscle to hold the implant in too high a position, and may even cause the implant to displace upwards (as high as the collar bone in some patients) when the muscle contracts. Patients with this problem require reoperation to release the inferior origin of the pec major and/or the inframammary fold.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Tubular Breast

Tubular or constricted breast is a spectrum of findings on the breast.  It can vary from mild to severe, and treatment can be a challenge.  Looking at your picture:  if you have it, it is mild and would respond well to augmentation, if certain steps are taken.  Your best option is to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in breast surgery.  They can examine you and give you your best options.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Tuberous Breasts is a Sub-Group of Constricted Breasts

You appear to have constricted breasts. If you look carefully, the lower slope of the breast is a traight line instead of a gentle convex curve. As in tuberous breasts, which the contraction literally prevents the breast contents from bulging forward and assuming a hemispheric shaper. While the shape of a tuberous breast looks like tuber, or root, you have a milder form in which it is not AS constrictive by is nonetheless present. Your condition CAN be vastly improved with surgery but this is best done when you are older and you have the time to have it. Dr. PeterAldea

Tubular breasts

Tubular breasts is a descriptive term that indicates certain features that are variably present to variable degrees. Some call it constricted breasts because the base of the breast is tight and yours have a bit of that characteristic. You have to remember that breasts come in all shapes and sizes. Very few are "perfect." Your breasts are going to develop the way they will and they will continue to change as you grow, age, become pregnant, etc. It doesn't matter what they look like or what they are called, if you are unhappy about some aspect whether it is shape, size, symmetry, sagging, degree of perkiness, then you can discuss changes with a surgeon. Whether or not you actual go through with any surgery is going to be a individual and joint decision with your surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tubular breasts

Thank you for sharing your question and picture. From your picture it does look like you have tubular breasts. The spectrum of tubular breasts can range from very mild to severe, and is different for every individual. 

Below are some of the most common symptoms of tubular breasts that can be corrected with surgery:

• Breast hypoplasia (small breasts or underdeveloped)
  • One or both breasts have an excessively thin base
  • The inframammary fold (breast crease) is too high or tight
  • Breasts are asymmetrical
  • Breast constriction
  • Breasts have an abnormal shape and projection, almost resembling a cone.

Luckily, reconstructive tubular breast surgery can help patients achieve a more normal and natural appearing breast shape. This procedure should only be performed by an expert, board-certified plastic surgeon to ensure it is done properly. You should consult in person with a plastic surgeon who can evaluate your breasts and recommend the best treatment plan. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Tubular Breasts

There are many different degrees of tubular anamolies and no such thing as “perfect” breasts. They come in all shapes and sizes and most with some form of asymmetry. Based on the photo you provided, you have some characteristics of tubular breasts that appear very mild. There is some constriction in the inferior pole which prevents the breast from taking on the rounder shape you desire. If you are unhappy with your appearance, you may be a candidate for breast augmentation. Breasts can still be developing over the next several years and will continue to change as you get older especially during pregnancy. A board certified plastic surgeon can advise you on the optimal time to consider the surgery. 

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Varieties of tubular breasts

This breast condition is a developmental problem of the breast. It may be characterized by a variety of appearances generally seen at the time of puberty. There may be breast underdevelopment of the breast with little or no breast tissue. There may be deficiency of breast skin. The breast may appear narrow, tubular, long, conical or droopy. These contours have resulted in the use of unattractive names such as Tubular Breasts, or Snoopy Breasts. Frequently, the areola (nipple) is often herniated forward creating a ‘Puffy Nipple’, or dome shape to the areola. The areola may be excessively large. Another unkind urban term is ‘Bologna Breast’, so called because the woman’s areolas are so large, that they take up almost the entire surface area of the woman’s breast. The color of the areola may be colored the same shade as bologna. Often, the lower part or lower pole of the breast is deficient (see severity) adding to Breast Asymmetry. The breasts are often widely displaced. The condition may be on one side (unilateral) or both (bilateral) and is often uneven between the two sides.

Not particularly tuberous

Tuberous breasts are characterized by a constricted appearance of the breast with disproportionately widened and protuberant areolae. Also, the fold under the breast can be very high and tight. Your photo does not appear this way. The only aspect is that your areolae are slightly large and slightly prominent but otherwise your breasts appear quite normal.
Breast development typically is complete after you have completed puberty. At 18 you are probably fully through puberty.  Any further changes can still occur but much later over time related to either major weight fluctuation or pregnancy.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Development

Thank you for your question! It is important to remember that you are still not done growing.  Most women are still developing through their early 20s.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicago Hoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

I'm 18 yrs old. Are my Breasts Tubular?

Thank you for your question and picture.
Your picture demonstrates tuberous anomaly.
Tuberous breasts generally have a very narrow base and usually a long skin envelope. In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a breast lift can be done through an incision around the areola, making the breast into a more rounded shape that the patient will be happy with. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary.
You should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that you will need to be patient.
The incision is usually confined to around the nipple/areola and may require a vertical/horizontal incision (in some cases) as well. The procedure involves making internal incisions to release the tight breast tissues, making a larger space for an implant, rounding out the lower breast crease, and correcting enlarged and protruding areola. The space between the breasts ( cleavage area) can be decreased with the use of implants as well.
Make sure that your surgeon has experience with this specific procedure and is a board certified plastic surgeon.