I'm 18 yrs old. Are my Breasts Tubular?

Hello, I'm an 18 year old female and ever since I was about 14 I've been concerned that my breasts are tubular. However, when my nipples are erect (as pictured) they look perfectly fine in my opinion. It's almost as if the tissue gets pinched back and creates a rounder shape. But I don't have naturally erect nipples, they're quite puffy. In your professional opinion, are they tuberous? Because I'm young, do I still have a chance of developing more rounded breasts in the future?

Tubular or Tuberous breasts can be corrected

The breast augmentation photo gallery on my website include before and after images of women with tubular breasts before surgery with very natural looking breasts after surgery. I attached a link below. Many women with tubular breasts wonder if they can have "normal" looking breasts. The answer is yes. be certain you fiund a plastic surgeon with expertise in this area.
In many breast augmentation patients, the inframammary fold needs to be lowered in order to allow the implant to rest at a level that appears natural relative to the position of the nipple and areola. Ideally the implant should be centered directly behind the nipple-areola complex (NAC). In profile, the natural-appearing breast is not convex in the upper pole, and an excessively convex and overly full upper pole is a dead giveaway that a breast implant sits below the skin. In addition, inadequate release of the inferior origin of the pectoralis major will allow the muscle to hold the implant in too high a position, and may even cause the implant to displace upwards (as high as the collar bone in some patients) when the muscle contracts. Patients with this problem require reoperation to release the inferior origin of the pec major and/or the inframammary fold.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Tubular Breast

Tubular or constricted breast is a spectrum of findings on the breast.  It can vary from mild to severe, and treatment can be a challenge.  Looking at your picture:  if you have it, it is mild and would respond well to augmentation, if certain steps are taken.  Your best option is to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in breast surgery.  They can examine you and give you your best options.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Tuberous Breasts is a Sub-Group of Constricted Breasts

You appear to have constricted breasts. If you look carefully, the lower slope of the breast is a traight line instead of a gentle convex curve. As in tuberous breasts, which the contraction literally prevents the breast contents from bulging forward and assuming a hemispheric shaper. While the shape of a tuberous breast looks like tuber, or root, you have a milder form in which it is not AS constrictive by is nonetheless present. Your condition CAN be vastly improved with surgery but this is best done when you are older and you have the time to have it. Dr. PeterAldea

Tubular breasts

Tubular breasts is a descriptive term that indicates certain features that are variably present to variable degrees. Some call it constricted breasts because the base of the breast is tight and yours have a bit of that characteristic. You have to remember that breasts come in all shapes and sizes. Very few are "perfect." Your breasts are going to develop the way they will and they will continue to change as you grow, age, become pregnant, etc. It doesn't matter what they look like or what they are called, if you are unhappy about some aspect whether it is shape, size, symmetry, sagging, degree of perkiness, then you can discuss changes with a surgeon. Whether or not you actual go through with any surgery is going to be a individual and joint decision with your surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast Development

Thank you for your question! It is important to remember that you are still not done growing.  Most women are still developing through their early 20s.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicago Hoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

I'm 18 yrs old. Are my Breasts Tubular?

Thank you for your question and picture.
Your picture demonstrates tuberous anomaly.
Tuberous breasts generally have a very narrow base and usually a long skin envelope. In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a breast lift can be done through an incision around the areola, making the breast into a more rounded shape that the patient will be happy with. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary.
You should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that you will need to be patient.
The incision is usually confined to around the nipple/areola and may require a vertical/horizontal incision (in some cases) as well. The procedure involves making internal incisions to release the tight breast tissues, making a larger space for an implant, rounding out the lower breast crease, and correcting enlarged and protruding areola. The space between the breasts ( cleavage area) can be decreased with the use of implants as well.
Make sure that your surgeon has experience with this specific procedure and is a board certified plastic surgeon.

Slightly tuberous

You may have a slight case of tuberous breasts I think. It looks like your right breast appears to be a little more tuberous in shape, but it's still mild. Breast development continues until about 19 years old, so you may want to wait another year or so to see if things round out for you.

Ronald Levine, MD

Tuberous Breasts

Absolutely - you have the classic signs of a mild tuberous deformity with slight nipple areolar herniation and a constriction of the lower pole which will make you prone to a double bubble with Breast augmentation

Constricted breasts

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo. Based on your photograph, it appears that your breast are constricted and not allowing the lower aspect of your breast to fully develop. Breast surgery is an option to help reshape the breast and release some of the constrictions. An implant may also help reshape the breasts as well. I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss the different operative techniques and options with you.

Tubular breasts

Hi, thanks for your question. Breasts come in all shapes and sizes. There is no 'perfect' breast type. Your breasts may continue to grow for another 5 years. If you are unhappy with the shape of your breast there are options available to change them. Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a proper examination and to discuss your options. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon