How Do Breasts Look Immediately After Augmentation?

I was told you'd be able to see the breast implants up top and your breasts loose below it. My surgery is next Saturday, what can I expect? Going from A to C (350CC).

Appearance of implants right after surgery

Your breasts will be somewhat swollen and look "tight" soon after surgery.  They also may look on the high side for a few months until your body has had a chance to accomodate this change in size.  Be patient because your new breasts will improve in appearance as you recover.

Southport Plastic Surgeon

Breast appearance after surgery

The breasts typically look great on the table.  After the surgery early on there is usually swelling, and often spasm of the pectoralis major muscles.  Recovery will take some time and patience.  Often plastic surgeons will have protocols to make them look more presentable sooner after surgery.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

How will my breast look after breast augmentation

How your breasts will look after breast augmentation surgery is not only dependent upon the patient body type but also choosing the right plastic surgeon. Finding the right plastic surgeon and discussing expectations is key. Implants are typically high following surgery due to swelling but descend to their appropriate position within 3-6 months in most cases.

How do breasts look immediately after a breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  Immediately after your breast augmentation surgery, I forewarn my patients that their implants may look a little 'high, hard, and ugly.'  Because I place all of my implants below the chest muscle, it is reasonable to expect that your implants will look a little on the high side until your muscle has stretched and can allow for your implants to settle completely.  It may take several months for the entire settling process to be complete, but with patience and proper follow up care, your breasts will improve in appearance day by day.  Best of luck!

Allow 4 months for results to appear

Right after your surgery, you'll be wrapped up in bandages so you won't really be able to see your results. However, you'll notice an improvement that will become hidden by swelling. For the first few weeks, your breasts may look a little squarish and slightly flattened against your body. They probably won't look very "breast-like" and sit high up on your chest, but this tends to resolve after about 4 months. If you have naturally smaller breasts (as you mention) and firmer skin, this dropping process might be a little slower.

Ronald Levine, MD

Appearance after breast augmentation

There is a widespread belief that we simply insert a breast implant and the patient will immediately have a perfect result. This occasionally happens with the right patient, but most patients have a lot of work to do after surgery to achieve the optimal result. The implants usually ride high at first and it may take several months to achieve the final shape. That's why it is essential that you keep your follow up visits with your plastic surgeons office.

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Appearance of Breasts Immediately Following Breast Augmentation

The breasts you see immediately following surgery are not the breasts you will have for the rest of your life. Your breast tissue will likely appear swollen and tight, and you might think that your breast implants are sitting to high on the chest. Recovery takes time and your body will slowly adjust to your new implants. It can be difficult and frustrating to have patience after surgery especially if this is something you've wanted to do for yourself for a long time. By following your surgeon's recommendations for your recovery period, you will likely eventually see a softer, more relaxed and natural looking result.

Appearance of breasts right after breast augmentation

When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.

Temporarily high and tight

Every patient is different.  Some breast augmentations look perfect at 1 week.  More typically, however, you should expect to see your breasts higher and tighter than the ultimate outcome for at least the first month.  They settle and soften over 6 months.

What do breasts look like immediately following breast augmentation

Your breast will be swollen and feel tight.  The swelling will be more pronounced in the upper breast and the implants will appear high on your chest.  This is perfectly normal but can be surprising for the patient.  A good plastic surgeon will show you progression photos during your consultation so that you will have an idea of how the breast will change in appearance over time.