Will Breast Augmentation Stretch the Areola Permanently?

Does a Breast Augmentation permanently stretch the areola and causing nipples to stay hard all the time. My boyfriend says all the Breast Augmentation he looked at looks the same because of the areola and nipple. Do they always stretch areola?

Breast augmentation and areola stretching

Obviously, your boyfriend has a vast experience.

I would disagree with his assessment however. BIt has been my experience that the breast gets larger with implants, and the areola may slightly increase proportionately, or not at all, depending on the size of the implant, and laxity of the skin.

I have seen some patients who seem to have erect nipples almost permanently, but that tends to fade as the nerves "wake up" over time.

Nipples and Areolas will stretch a minimal amount with breast augmentation

Hi there-

You should expect your nipple/areola complexes to stretch a minor amount with breast augmentation, as will (obviously) the skin of the rest of your breast.

In the vast majority of patients the nipples remain in good proportion to the breast, and because the breast enlarges more than the nipple, patients who before surgery thought their nipples/areolas were too large, find them in BETTER proportion after surgery- so I'm not sure where your boyfriend is looking...

Find a surgeon you like first- and ask to see photos of their work. This should not be something that causes you regret with your augmentation.

Will Breast Augmentation Stretch the Areola?

In general, if one does not do an out of dimension breast augmentation (excessively large breast implants), the stretching of the areola is not significant.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Stretching the areola with breast implants

The stretching of the areola will depend on the size of the implant relative to the available skin. The bigger the implant relative to the skin the more the skin must and will stretch.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Areola size will depend on the breast implant size

Your areola size will not change much if moderate size implants used (not more than double the patient breast size). The stretch marks happens with too large implant.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants can stretch your areolas a little.

Hi.

Small breast implants will not change your areolas. Moderate size breast implants (what we usually use in New York City) will stretch your areolas a little, but not unattractive. And very large breast implants we don't use because they age so badly.

The nipples themselves don't change.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Areola size and breast implants

If you have a very large implant put in, your areola will generally stretch out int he same way that the skin does. The nipples should not stay hard all the time following augmentation, but they may be swollen for the first month or two after surgery. 

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Size of areola and nipple before and after pregnancy and augmentation with implants

It has also been my observation that patients who undergo a relatively signficant change in breast volume (more than 1 cup), experience an enlarged areola. Although the nipples are initially more firm and prominent, they tend to settle back to their baseline by 6-9 months after surgery. Please note that enlargement of the areola occurs with pregnancy as well with the average pre-nursing areola measuring about 35mm and the post partum areola averaging 42mm.

Breast Augmentation will not permanently stretch the areola

No. There are %'s of this result/risk that occur in BREAST IMPLANTS, but it is very low. If your areolae are already large than expect them to be larger. The nipple being erect is very rare. Regards.

Yes, your areolas will stretch

Your skin has to stretch to make room for the implants, so yes, your areolas will stretch, too. But it won't make your nipples hard all the time and the amount your areolas stretch will be proportionate with your implants. Your areolas might not stretch at all if you get smaller implants.

Ronald Levine, MD