Will Band Help with One Breast Implant That's Higher Than the Other?

One of my breast implants is higher than the other, should I just start wearing my band again, or do I need to see my doctor?

Wearing a Band is not likely Lower a scarred Breast Implant or an under dissected breast pocket

Breast implants MUST be placed exactly under your nipples. If your nipples were asymmetric, your augmented breasts / nipples will likely be asymmetric as well.

If your nipples and breasts WERE more or less symmetric before your augmentation, post-augmentation breast asymmetry may have been caused by:
- Under- dissection the pocket of the higher breast
- Capsular contracture of the higher breast
- Over dissection and bottoming of the lower breast

NONE of these conditions are likely to improve by the use of the band. A surgical procedure would likely be required to fix it.

Without looking at your before and After pictures it is hard to advise you what took place.

Breast implant too high?

First, there is always breast asymmetry so that one has a slightly higher fold than the other.  If it is fairly early, a band may help adjust the position.

The band could help correct your problem up to 2 to 3 months from your date of surgery.

Yes, wearing a compression band can influence the positioning of your implant up to 2-3 months following your surgery. Of course, there is no harm in trying it even beyond this time period but the chances for success are minimal. If the implant does not respond it is because of the natural formation of a scar tissue capsule that has formed around your implants. It  is this capsule of scar tissue that is maintaining  your implant in this unwanted location. If the band fails, a formal operation will be needed to release the scar tissue and reposition your implant.

David A. Ross, MD (retired)

Bandeaus can help with Breast Implant positioning if they are too high.

Yes, I have seen great improvement in implant positioning with "Bands" and "Bandeaus" when they are applied early. There is no question that implants Do Settle over the first few months as the tissues covering the implants relax and that the "bands" help speed this up. If however your implant was originally lower (after your healing was complete) and has move up several months or years after surgery, this is most likely due to a Capsular Contracture. This can be mild (mildly firmer than natural) or severe (much harder than natural)
I would definitely recommend you get your surgeons advice.

Breast Banding for Augmentation Asymmetry

I'm sorry to hear that your results are asymmetric, but the effectiveness of the band will be related to how close you are to your augmentation.  If it has been weeks to maybe a month or two, one sided banding can be helpful.  Any longer, however, it is likely the capsule that has formed is stronger than the band.  No matter what your circumstances, another meeting with your plastic surgeon would serve you well.

Best of luck.

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Sometimes early on it will work

After a capsular release I have used the band to keep the implant low, but after healed it will not help the breast to settle.  Unfortunately you may need a revision if it is more than 3 months out.

Band will not help bring breast implants down.

Hi.

It's a myth that implants need to "settle", or that they can be pushed down.  I am sorry to say it sounds like you will need a revision breast augmentation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Band Should Help

Compression banding is useful for a breast that is riding high.  You should be able to use it, since you have a band, and have done it before.  After a month or two, it is hard to get much downward movement as the scar tissue gets too strong.  Hopefully ,you can work it down with massage and banding.  If compression doesn'w work youw will need to be reopened, and have a lower scar release to drop the implant.

Good luck.

Will Band Help with One Breast Implant That's Higher Than the Other? There maybe other reasons for this and Iwould not commence the band without your surgeon's advice.

One implant higher than the other

In general, implants have to be sized and positioned correctly and then healed in that position. The tissues around the implant have to recover/settle which is what makes it look like the implant drops or lowers. In my opinion, a band over the upper breast is not necessary nor will it solve anything if the implant was positioned incorrectly or healed in an incorrect position. Within the settling phase of six weeks or so, one implant can "settle" faster than the other but this should correct itself and a band is not needed. After about two months, it's not likely there will be much more settling but it's not impossible. The other issue is whether the breasts were asymmetric before the implants and the filling out from the implant makes this more noticeable. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon