How will breast implants feel if you already have larger breasts (d cup)?

After having 3 children, i know that I need a breast lift but was thinking about getting implants to fill the upper portion of my breasts. I was wondering if the implants would be less noticeable if I already have large breasts to begin with. I want the most natural look and feel that I can get. Thank you!

To Implant or Not to Implant

Excellent question and a very common concern. The decision on whether or not to have implants placed at the time of your breast lift can be made by considering the following questions:

1) When your breasts are placed in a bra (not a "push-up" or padded bra), are you happy with the size of your breasts? If so, then a breast lift (mastopexy) is likely to be the option that is most suitable as you don't need more volume to your breasts, you just need the volume that you have placed back into a more youthful position. A breast lift alone in this circumstance will most definitely provide you the most natural look, because it is completely natural.

2) If you desire more volume than what you currently have or as you stated, you want more "upper pole" fullness, then a breast lift combined with an implant (augmentation-mastopexy) is the best option for you as this will simultaneously provide more volume and upper pole fullness than a breast lift alone. However, some consider upper pole fullness to be an "unnatural" look. I'd argue that a well performed augmentation-mastopexy will provide a very natural look that would fool even the most discerning eye. In my practice, I ask my pre-operative breast patients to show me photos of breasts that represent the look they're trying to achieve. In my experience, these photos are almost always breasts that have been augmented with implants, but my patients cannot tell. The patient almost always assumes that their chosen photos show natural breasts.

So, several questions outlined above for you to consider. In the meantime, locate a reputable, Plastic Surgeon, Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and schedule a consultation. The surgeon can speak with you in more detail about your personal aesthetic desires and how to best achieve these goals. Spend time making a thoughtful, well informed decision up front and you'll be thrilled with your results no matter which way you choose to go. Always happy to help!

Best of Luck!

Newburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation or Implants with Lift for Larger Breast

This is an excellent question. Good for you for looking into your options. If your aim is a more natural look and feel, your existing tissue creates an advantage. Having more breast volume helps camouflage an implant, giving a more natural look and feel. Make an appointment to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to find out what is best for you. A good result should be possible. I hope this helps!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Normally implants are said to be felt as natural breast. If you mean the size? then this will depend on the breast tissue you may have inside and in combination with a certain size of implant, can definitely give you great results. A physical examination or picture evaluation is needed in order to determine which procedure and technique would be best for you.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Greater volume of natural tissue will usually yield softer and more natural feeling breasts after augmentation

A greater volume of normal breast will usually better conceal an underlying breast implant and yield more natural looking breasts following augmentation.  Evaluation by an experienced plastic surgeon will clarify your options and better delineate your anticipated outcomes. 

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants in larger breasts

Dear siamese23,

Larger breasts will cover implants well and they should feel very natural.  A more important question is; do you really need implants at all if your breast are already large?  You might be a candidate for a breast lift only.  I would go for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast surgery so that you can explain your goals and discuss options.  Good luck.

Breast enhancement

Breast implants work well for any cup size in the hands of an experienced plastic surgeon. It is a good point you bring up because a lot of time a breast lift does not always give quality  cleavage. Often you need a small implant to add cleave and fullness there. The larger the breasts are prior to surgery the less likely you will feel the implant or have problems with its visibility after placement of the implant. Best wishes.

The more breast tissue and coverage the more natural the result, in general.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Breast implants and lift

Hi. The more breast tissue you have the less likely you will be able to feel or see the implants - the more natural result you will have. The decision on whether you need a lift as well depends on the amount of loose skin you have. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants for larger D cup breast

Thank you for your question.if you're having a lift larger breasts to begin with the breast tissue will likely cover the implants and they will not be as noticeable.

Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery, experienced in breast surgery, and has an excellent reputation in your community.

The more breast tissue that you have the less likely that the implants will be palpable and the more natural the breasts will feel. But you need to be examined by a Board Certified PLastic Surgeon to have a clearer picture. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD