Risks of Combining Breast Augmentation with Liposuction and Tummy Tuck?

I am getting Tummy tuck, Liposuction and Breast Lift with Breast Implants. I am so scared, I'm about to give up.

I can't sleep thinking of the surgery, please tell me what to expect to having those two or three procedures at the same time.

Also, my Dr is telling me that the procedures will take 4 to 6 hrs, is it right? And he keep telling me about the risk, and to do one procedures at the time. Thanks.

Combined tummy tuck, liposuction, breast lift and breast implant

It is certainly a very big surgery you have planned.

The question of combined surgeries comes up frequently. Experienced surgeons have a feel for how quickly they can do a case, the health of the patient, the unique risks the patient has, and the overall scope of the operation. As Dr. Rand points out, there are special "red flag" areas in combined surgery (such as implant/mastopexy, liposuction plus full TT, etc) where an experienced plastic surgeon will exert extra caution.

There are easy breast lifts and there are difficult lifts, the same for tummy tucks, liposuction, etc.

The health of the patient also factors in. There are young healthy patients in whom the risk would be low, and heavyset sedentary older patients with medical issues where the surgery would be unthinkable.

A seasoned board certified plastic surgeon with decades of experience will guide you through the risk analysis.

As always with plastic surgery, if you have doubts, do not proceed.

It is my philosophy with combined procedures first to make conservative choices. If during surgery after the first procedure the patient is 100%, the operation proceeds to the next procedure. If the patient is 99%, the operation is over and we return another day.

Augmentation and tummy tuck can be done at same time in appropriate candidates

In appropriate cantidates these two proccedures are often done at the same time. In my experience over 30 years, a patient's mental state going into an operation is an important factor. Some anxiety before any surgery is normal. If yours is such that it is disabling, then "your stars are not aligned" and you should postpone until you feel better. Remember this is elective and you don't have to do it. Hope you sleep better tonight.

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Risks of Combining Breast Augmentation with Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.
In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision. All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation. The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation.

Risks of combining breast augmentation with liposuction and tummy tuck?

Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover". If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that s/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.  4-6 hrs is reasonable time for these. 

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Your safety is ultimately the most important factor and is always on the mind of your surgeon when making such decisions. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Combination Breast Augmentation, Tummy Tuck, and Lipo

Different surgeons will recommend different procedures including doing more than one at a time. Some surgeons also differ in ability, time it takes to do the same procedure and general. It makes this a difficult choice for patients.  Based on my own experience I would do all at once as long as it takes 4 or less hours. For me, typical liposuction on  one or two areas on the front of your body, a tummy tuck and breast augmentation will take 3-4 hours so I recommend this be done in one surgery.

Not only that,  it is possible to place breast implants through the TT incision but I prefer this technique. Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense and is safe. Contrary to some of the answers I have found that the recovery time is not delayed and is the same as the tummy tuck procedure by itself. That is because you are healing simultaneously and not sequentially - both heal at the same time. The procedure only takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes longer than the tummy tuck alone. Best of all, I usually put in the breast implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are no scars on the breasts.
I have performed many of these combination procedures over the past few decades and think it is a great idea without significant increased complications

Best recommendation: seek a second opinion as see if this helps. 

Combined surgery has risks

Yes, you can combine these three procedures and I do combine them frequently. There is an increased risk of complications due to the longer anesthesia time, but then again there is only one anesthesia/surgery event in stead of two. One thing I do caution all of my patients about when undergoing the combination of Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation with the implants under the muscle, is that it is a very debilitating combination. This is because it hurts to use you abs as well as your arms. I always suggest you have a lot of help around for the first few days. Otherwise, your implants may have a tendency to move up.

Operative risks for multiple surgeries

I perform multiple procedures all the time. Yes, they can take 4-6 hours.Yes, they can increase the risk of complications. If you are unsure about it, think it over or seek a second opinion.

Multiple surgical procedures and operative risks

The amount of time you discuss for this combination of procedures seems reasonable. as to your anxiety, that is  a more difficult probmen. Your risk for clots will dicrease if you separate the procedures.

Risk of Multiple Procedures

The risks certainly rises somewhat with multiple procedures primarily related to increase in the anesthetic time. In most patients the risks of performing a Tummy tuck, augmentation, and lipo at the same time are reasonable.

The main variables are the speed at which the surgeon operates and the general health of the patient. All surgery involves benefits and risks which must be weighed in order to decide how to proceed. If you surgeon has suggested performing these procedures in stages, ask him/her why.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Can you combine plastic surgery procedures?

You can combine the procedures that you mentioned, but the surgery will be lengthy. Any more than this would probably be too long in the operating room. Also, I would recommend and overnight stay in the hospital at which you're having the surgery. Otherwise, talk to your surgeon about your concerns and suggest another meeting to make you feel at ease with your decisions.