I read on my minoxidil instructions that weight gain in possible during treatment. Is that true?

I seem to have trouble to lose weight while on minoxidil. I stay on diet day after day and nothing

Side effects of Minoxidil

Minoxidil is applied topically, thus the amount of systemic absorption is minimal.  Typically, patients report lower blood pressure and rapid heart rate.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil and weight gain

no, it is not true that minoxidil may cause weight gain. it is used atopical serum ..please check your diet to loose weight

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your query. Weight gain is a known side effect of minoxidil but that is also in case of any medicine you take. The weight gain is very mi-nute as it applied topically and very less goes into the system .So, I think you need to revise your diet plan. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain with minoxidil use?

Ricardo54414,

The symptoms or side effects of minoxidil use are usually local skin irritation and itching. But it all depends on how much you are applying to your scalp, and how much is absorbed. I have seen some patients even complain on rapid heart rate, weakness, and dizziness, all side effects of systemic absorption. Weight gain could also be seen if absorbed systemically since any decrease in kidney perfusion would result in the renin-angiotensin system increasing the amount of sodium re-absorption thus weight gain. Be sure to only use the recommended amounts of minoxidil. Consult with your physician.

Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Weight gain with minoxidil

Weight gain is not caused by topical drugs such as minoxidil unless it absorbs by the body as if you took it orally

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon