Non-surgical Alternative to Botox for Reducing Masseter Muscles?

Instead of getting rid of wrinkles, I'm trying to reduce my masseter muscles. If I'm really resistant to Botox, what other non-surgical methods could I use to reduce my masseter muscles? I already gave up chewing gum, what about wearing a mouth guard at night or massaging the muscles? Thanks!

Options for masseteric hypertrophy

you always want to make sure the diagnosis is correct. Are you sure it is masseteric hypertrophy and not bony prominence? If not absolutely sure perhaps a second opinion.

If masseteric hypertrophy is confirmed the best options include the use of neurotoxins. There is a surgical option of shaving or reducing the muscle, but it is quite involved with a several week recovery of swelling and some risk of unevenness or irregularity of contour

You didn't mention how much Botox was used. it could easily take 40-80 units per side.

If you have exhausted the Botox option you might try Dysport another neurotoxin that is slightly different in its chemical structure.

Options for masseteric hypertrophy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

BOTOX works well to reduce the size of your masseter muscles, and change the shape of your face.

BOTOX has been shown to effectively reduce the size of your masstere muscles. This procedure is typically requested by Asian patients who wish to have a more angulated appearance of their jaw-line. I am not aware of any other non-invasive procedures to achieve the same results. If you're grinding your teeth, then a night-guard may be helpful. In that regard, consultation with your dentist may be a good idea for you. I hope this is helpful, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical correction of masseteric hypertrophy

You may want to try Dysport. It is a new FDA approved botulinum toxin that acts similarly to Botox. This would be considered an off label use. It has shown greater ability to spread locally in comparision ot Botox.

Non-surgical alternative to Botox for reducing masseter muscles?

Are you sure that the problem is a prominent masseter muscle??

If yes, then the other suggestions make sense.  Sometimes, the buccal fat pad can make the cheeks look fuller.  Reduction of the fat pads is an easier procedure vs masseter muscle reduction.

Reducing Masseter without Botox and Surgery

You are asking an impossible question. The only solution I can think is this;

1. Stick to soft foods that require very little to no chewing. Even soft chewy foods like bagels or ganola bars can be bad.

2. Reduce the clenching of your jaw. To accomplish that during the day, buy a wrist watch that has an hourly beeping feature. It will remind you all day long to relax your jaw. For the night time clenching, 2 minutes before falling asleep do some auto suggestion, i.e., tell yourself, I will not clench in my dreams tonight. If this technique fails then see a psychotherapist to help you achieve this.

Goodluck. If all of the above does not work, don't be resistant to Botox. It is very safe and works great.

Regards

Regards

Botoxor or Dysport are the best treatment

You may want to try Botox or Dysport with another physician. The other is to shave the muscle but it is a complex and I would not recommend.

More Botox

In my experience, the masseter muscle requires a surprising amount of Botox to reshape a square, masculine jaw line. It is not uncommon to require 65 units per side (I do suggest gradual titration of the amount used, since it is easier to add more rather than subtract, and everyone is different). Dysport is too new to use in this area and most experts agree the area of effect (diffusion) may make it a less optimal product for use on the lower thrird of the face.

More Botox

Botox for masseter hypertrophy

If you have masseter muscle hypertrophy and Botox has not helped you, you may want to try dysport. It is another form of botulinum toxin that works a bit differently.  Are you sure it is muscle hypertrophy and not a bony issue?

Botox for masseter hypertrophy

Botox and Masseter Muscle

Botox is the ideal treatment.  Not sure what you mean by being resistant to botox?  There is also another company that has botulinum toxin for cosmetic purposes call Dysport.  But you need a decent amount to botox to more over time.

Good luck.

Botox and Masseter Muscle

Good luck.

Non surgical alternatives to Botox

I am a cynic of products that claim to do what Botox does but through the use of creams or other gadgets. I have not found anything but Botox and Dysport that work in the FDA approved areas for Botox and Dysport. I would not recommend any creams or gadgets to affect the muscles as a substiture or replacement in the manner that Botox does.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Non surgical alternatives to Botox

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon