How Many Units to Botox Crow's Feet?

I have had Botox for a few years and love it. I have changed my location. I have a new person doing Botox, my problem is I have always maintained 22-24 units that has been perfect and on one occasion 28 units. Which was great as well. My problem is this, my new person that is doing Botox has guessed 39 units I was shocked, I told her no.

Botox for Crow's Feet

I generally use between 7.5 and 12.5 units of Botox per side for crow's feet, depending on the patient. However, there are some patients who have smile lines around the eyes that can add to the attractiveness of a patient. Some smile lines add warmth and pleasant character to the face.
Lines and wrinkles should not be removed simply because they can be removed. Removal or softening of wrinkles should be something to consider only if a patient feels the lines make them look unpleasant, less attractive, or older than they'd like to look. Too much Botox, or Botox in too many places can create the "frozen face" so many people fear.
It is normal to have some lines on the face. I keep photos of my smiling young children in the procedure room where I perform Botox as a reminder to patients that some lines can be beautiful.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Botox for crow's feet

When treating patients with concerns about their crow's feet (wrinkles around the eyes), I usually start at 8-12 units per side.  This depends on the depth of the wrinkles and the size of the orbicularis muscle (the muscle that is being treated with Botox for crow's feet).  If this is not enough, then I see the patient back in two weeks for further injection.  I think the extra visit is worth it for the few patients who need the extra Botox, because it saves all the rest of the patients from purchasing unnecessary Botox!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depends on wrinkles

This would depend on the lines and their formation. If a single line less units. Multiple lines more units. If the wrinkles extend quite a distance from the lateral canthus (outer part of the eye) more units. It is safer to inject the superior lies ( upper wrinkles) than lower ones. Usual for me, like the others, is 8-9 units. Touch up with 2-3 units two weeks later if patient and I feel the need. Fillers (Cosmoderm or Restylane) if patient wants total correction.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Crowsfeet botox

Amounts vary. 7.5 units per eye for crowsfeet is the average.  Persons who receive botox regularly and whose periorbicularis muscle has weakened long term require less.   The usual interval of injections is 4 months.

Lee Kleiman, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crows' feet Botox

If 22-28 units has worked for you in the past for your crows' feet, then that's what you should continue to request. There is no reason to increase units unless your results are incomplete or lasting fewer than 3-4 months.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Botox - Units for crow's feet

For younger patients in their 30's, 8 units usually suffices per side; for patients in their 50's it might be 16 units per side, if orbicularis fibers other than the usual lateral fibers are treated.

Too much Botox can cause relaxation of undesired muscles, for example the lip lifting muscles, so experience and understanding of facial muscle anatomy is important. Too much can also create undesired effects, like the "apple cheek" look of excessive orbicularis relaxation.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Botox units for crow's feet

While the amount of Botox used varies, I typically use 20-25 units for women and 25-30 for men.

Lori Stetler, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Typical amount used is 7-12 units

Depending on age of the patient and the intensity of the crows feet there is no exact amount to say what you would need. However, generally on the “average” patient, meaning not the extreme cases, anywhere between 7-12 units can be used for each side. If you have been happy with what you were receiving I would stay with what you know and to what you have become accustomed.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Crows feet

The amount varies depending upon the severity of the crows feet. I typically start out with 7.5U on each side for the average person, however I can range from 7.5 to 15U on each side. I do three injections along the crows feet. I would start out with the lesser amount first and if you need more, I would do more injections.  Dr. Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Crow's Feet

I almost always start with 8 units of Botox for each side of the eye, 16 units total for both sides. Each side gets 4 injections of 2 units each. This works well for the majority of patients in my office. The dose can always be increased, if necessary, in the future.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon