Did I go too long between Sculptra treatments?

I had first vial of sculptra injected in May 2015. (Saw slight results after 2 months.) Second vial in August 2015. (Slightly more volume noticed after a few months.) Third vial 5 month later, in February 2016. (Again, only slightly more volume noticed after about 2 months.) Is 3-5 months too long between treatments? Is it possible I saw less results because of spacing them too far apart?

Spacing between Sculptra

Spacing between Sculptra does not matter. What matters is the number of vials used. Also, age and ethnicity makes a big difference. If you are young you make a lot more collagen from Sculptra, if you arenorthern european with thin white skin then you make very little collagen compared to Asians, Middle Easterns, Latins and Africans. RegardsDr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Was time interval between Sculptra treatments too long?

It is important not to place the Sculptra treatments too close together and I recommend waiting at least one month in between treatment sessions.  There is no problem waiting a longer period of time though.  Waiting longer should not produce less of a result.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Probably need more

Hi TBH,The key is that each vial of sculptra will only add a small amount of "permanent" volume.  Your spacing was not the issue, you probably just need more!  However, there are also other in office treatment options you can consider including fat grafting, implants, and others.Best of luck!

Jeffrey H. Spiegel, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Volume correction is dependent on the number of vials injected - and two vials can be injected at a time to speed up results - I recommend injecting the correct number needed by seeing the patient every 4 to 6 weeks for more injections until optimal results are achieved.  These final results will last approximately 2-3 years depending on the individual’s metabolism - but it can take several months in a row to get there.

Lisa Airan, MD

Sculptra Treatment Intervals

I suggest you see an expert to determine what is best for the number of vials and treatment intervals. I have patients do more at the beginning and less as maintenance.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Timing of #Sculptra

Dear TBH:   No studies have been done with regard to the response to treatments spaced more widely apart such as yours, so I would say it is possible you would have had better results had you had the second treatment one month later, and the third within a few months of that. You also would have noticed better results had you had two vials per treatment. Lastly, you don't provide your age, but after a certain age our fibroblasts may not respond as much to stimulation by Sculptra.  I have found patients get better results with supplementation with the essential building blocks for connective tissue proteins and the enzymatic cofactors needed for their production. Using creams that activate fibroblasts such as #Alastin, #Regenica, and/or #TNS serum, can also be very helpful.  All the best,   Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Sculptra injection schedule

Timing is not the critical factor in Sculptra. I agree with Dr. Bessler that it might not be enough Sculptra. I typically say a vial per decade, so 5 vials for a person in their 50's. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra Aesthetic Injection

If you feel that you are not seeing the volume and longevity that you had hoped, I suspect that you did not receive enough Sculptra vials (you said only 1vial/session). Many of my cases, patients may require more. Typically patients will receive as their first session 2 vials, and then usually will be re-evaluated for another session within 4-6 weeks. After 2 or 3 sessions (2 vials/session), patient facial volume and rejuvenation is complete and can last up to 12-18 months. Interval sessions are then performed for maintenance, or sooner than that if clinically indicated. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon