Sculptra or Radiesse?

I recently had a consultation and I was told I am a good candidate for Sculptra since I have lost some volume in my face. We discussed between Radiesse filler and Sculptra, by using Radiesse I would be needing for cc's in order to achieve the results I want. I understand Radiesse induces collagen growth. What is the difference between Radiesse and Sculptra's growth ratio? Also, If I decide to go with Radiesse for more instant results how much more would I need, compare to Sculptra?

Volume, Tightening and other Face Enhancement options: HA's, Radiesse and Sculptra

Dear patribrat:As more injectables enter the market, they continue to differentiate themselves and re-categorized as well. The "Liquid Facelift" is based on the use of injectibles: 
  1. Botox, Dysport Xeomin
  2. Fillers:
    1. Gel - Hyaluronic Acids: Restylane family, Juvederm family
    2. Structural - Radiesse (calcium ydroxylapatite microspheres), others
  3. BioStimulator: Sculptra (poly-l-lactic acid)
Lips, facial lines and wrinkles, crow’s feet, neck-lace lines, forehead wrinkles and folds are filled, plumped and volumized with Restylane and Juvederm HA fillers. I use Radiesse next to the bone for jaw and cheek enhancement or nasal volume. These will give you instant results and last about a year.Sculptra maybe the latest and greatest of the non-surgical rejuvenation options since Retin-A. The Sculptra molecule stimulates the immune system of cells to skin building, firming and tightening for the longer term. My analogy with aging is a beach ball. With time, both air escapes (volume loss) and the shell of the ball loses elasticity. HA fillers replace the air and Sculptra stimulates the shell to tighten. You can mix, match and layer these products depending on the skill and talents of your injector. The categories provide an idea of their action but are components of a "whole" rejuvenation process and not really equals. It is your choice to the therapeutic management you desire: immediate, short term, longer duration. As you should recognize, each has their price points, side-effects, risks and benefits.Discuss your goals with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon skilled in non-surgical, minimally invasive and surgical option to provide what is best for YOU! All the best!

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

I tell people sculptra should be used by everyone, this is your facial anatomical foundation.  Its not the best volumizer unless you are using LOTS of it.  This is your base foundation and then radiesse is layered on top (or other fillers / fat). I suggest seeing a sculpting expert who will give you a short and long term plan.  Best, Dr. Emer.

My experience with both Radiesse and Sculptra

As far as duration and cost effectiveness, Sculptra is the clear winner. Radiesse will give immediate results but will last 9-12 months. Sculptra will take about 6 months to fully kick in after starting treatment, and will last years. It will require touch ups due to aging about once per year. A vial of Sculptra is probably about 1.5-2 syringes of Radiesse

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra or Radiesse?

Hi Patribrat.  The answer is that you can use either product and there are pros and cons to both.  In general, Sculptra is more volumizing because it is specifically designed to stimulate the production of your own collagen.  Radiesse is a bit different in that it will have immediate effects (calcium microspheres have volume) and then some longer term benefits (collagen development but less so than with Radiesse).It may come down to whether or not you want immediate results (Sculptra can take up to 6 months for full effects) and how much you are willing to invest.  Sculptra lasts up to 2 years so is generally more expensive.  To see an example of Sculptra injections patients in our Orange, CA office, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Re-volumizing - Radiesse vs Sculptra

Where you need volume replacement will dictate which product is recommended. You could benefit from both Sculptra and Radiesse, or perhaps Sculptra and Voluma. There are many options for combining fillers to get a good result that attends to all the big AND small areas that may need improvement.Sculptra is purely a collagen stimulator, so you need to be a little patient for results. Sculptra can be used in more areas than Radiess, so for a global volume replacement, so Sculptra tends to be more adaptable.Radiesse does have some collagen-stimulating effect, but not the same as Sculptra. Radiesse will give you immediate fill. But so will Voluma, which is quite soft and an excellent cheek filler with extended longevity.The choice of product is based on location of need, your doctor's determination of what will give you the most desirable outcomes and your understanding of how each product behaves in a different way.Amount of product needed is dependent upon your volume loss, location of that loss, remaining structural support, etc. In-person consultations are the only way to know for sure what your needs would be

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

Radiesse is more controlled

Radiesse provides the benefit of controlling volume fill and it is stable, meaning it doesn't continue to grow; it also requires a single session and you see your results immediately. Super safe filler with no complications for the last 10 years.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Facial volumization

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to calculate or predict the amount of Radiesse or Sculptra needed to achieve the same affect. Both of these synthetic products induce collagen growth. Generally speaking, Sculptra should require more injections gradually over a period of time to achieve the same amount of instant volumization you can get from a single session of Radiesse. If it is your first time receiving fillers, you may also consider a hyaluronic acid based product such as those from the Juvederm or Restylane familiy of products. Juvederm and Restylane can be quickly dissolved by the enzyme hyaluronidase if you decide that you do not like the results. Sculptra and Radiesse cannot be reversed and are longer lasting. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician