I had chin liposuction 5 weeks ago and I still have a line of hard swelling. Is this normal?

I've been massaging the area all days, but it doesn't seem to improve. I also look fatter than I was.

Liposuction swelling takes weeks to resolve

Hi!
After lipo in the neck, there is commonly firmness and nodules of swollen fat for many weeks-- stay patient! Sometimes massage of this area can help move the edema out.
Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Hard swelling after chin liposuction

It is not uncommon for there to be firm areas beneath the chin and neck skin and following liposuction.  Massage typically helps these areas soft and but it can take 6-8 weeks.  Please follow closely with your plastic surgeon.

Relax. This is very common and may last 8-12 weeks. It's very important that you continue with massages. I would suggest that you seek a therapist familiar with lymphatic massages. It will get softer. Good luck.

Chin Liposuction

Hi Satori,
No cause for alarm as this is part of normal healing.  Keep your surgeon in the loop to be sure nothing else is going on.  Take if from me, this can take a good six months to smooth and soften.  All the best, "Dr. Joe:

Swelling and firmness after neck liposuction--pretty common.

At 5 weeks post-op, there is bound to be residual dead fat, blood, and scar tissue that need to go through the healing and maturation process that takes 6-12 months. Firmness is common, and is increased when liposuction is performed.

I prefer direct fat excision via a slightly longer incision for this reason, as I can obtain meticulous hemostasis under direct vision, which is impossible with liposuction, Whatever bruising/bleeding you get with liposuction, you get, and it takes longer to soften and heal, and can sometime be lumpy and irregular. Another part of why I have abandoned liposuction under the neck.

But this remains a common operation, and many patients have the exact same occurrence you are describing, so be patient. Don't massage too much, and don't gain weight during this time of increased metabolic activity in this area. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hard swelling 5 weeks after chin liposuction

After liposuction of the neck (under the chin), there normally is some firmness and swelling to the area during the healing process.  These issues normally improve over time, but it can take several months for this to occur.  Since your procedure was 5 weeks ago, it would not be unusual to have some firmness and swelling still present.  An examination would be needed to determine if the amount of firmness and swelling you have is normal or out of the ordinary.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

The neck should be feeling more supple at five weeks

Some firmness, bumpiness or unevenness is to be expected in the early phase of healing after neck liposuction.

Typically, when patients go on to complete the resolution, these should have been diminished by now.

I have seen several patients on RealSelf describing firm rope-like contracture scar bands in the neck after neck liposuction.

Many have been well over three or even six months out.

Please follow up with your plastic surgeon and do so on a regular basis.

More important than anything else is to understand what this represents. If it's just early scar tissue, massage and time will make it better.

If it's an area that's been over-liposuctioned, then the problem may be difficult to address. Sometimes there can be scar adhesions attaching the skin to the muscle layers.

At five weeks, your condition will most likely get better with time.

Follow up with your surgeon to see what his or her thoughts are.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Chin lipo and hard swelling

Yes, the hardness is still subcutaneous swelling which can last 3-6 months after surgery. Sometimes massaging the area can help resolve that.

Ariel Ostad, MD

Firm area after liposuction

Firmness in areas of liposuction are normal.  This will resolve with time.  The final results of liposuction are best seen at 3 months

Yes, it's normal

It can take 2-3 months for your neck to soften after neck liposction. After the initial 2-3 weeks of healing, massage of the troubled areas and the scar, other therapies like ultrasound can help reduce tight or thickened scar tissue. This is very norma after surgery.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon