Can I use a combination of CoolSculpting and Kybella to treat my chin fat?

Thank you for your question. You can combine the both, however, I would recommend waiting at least 3 months after the CoolSculpting treatment before deciding. Regards, 

CoolSculpting in Conjunction with Kybella

We offer both Coolsculpting and Kybella for submental adipose tissue. We have seen amazing results from the Cool Mini in this area. The protocol for the Cool Mini is two treatments 6 weeks apart, but most of our patients are thrilled after one treatment. Compared to Kybella the Cool Mini is not as uncomfortable of a procedure, offers far less down time (if any at all) and works like it says it does. If you are going to use Kybella in conjunction with the Cool Mini wait the 3 months for the Cool Mini to play its course and go from there. 

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Coolscupting versus Kybella for treat chin fat NYC

I have both the Cool-mini applicator to treat the fat under the chin and Kybella in my office.  I will do a consultation with the patients to look at their anatomy and determine what is the best procedure for them.  I would not do both procedures at the same time.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella AND CoolSculpting for double chin?

Dear Goochie:

This really is an excellent question but no studies on combination treatments have been performed.  I don't think I would recommend Kybella on the same day nor for at least 3 or 4 months after CoolSculpting, as after that treatment, adipocytes (fat cells) shift into the end phase of the normal life cycle of the cell, programmed cell death or apoptosis, and they die slowly over a period of months, so injecting them with Kybella could be overkill and unnecessary. However, I see no reason that you could not treat remaining fat with Kybella after that time.

You might be able to have CoolSculpting after any swelling from Kybella has subsided. Because the cells die immediately with Kybella injections, there is more rapid clearance of the treated fat cells, and the onset of the effect can be seen as early as three weeks. However, I wonder if you might somehow interfere with a nice side benefit of Kybella by doing this, that of the skin tightening we see 3 to 6 months after Kybella treatment.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Chin fat treatment

It is possible to do so.

If you decide to do that be sure your have gotten as much result as you can get before changing to the other treatment.  Doing, for example, Kybella a few weeks after a coolsculpting treatment would be a waste of your time and money since the injections would go into dead fat that the body has not reabsorbed and your doctor would not be able to judge your deformity and result.  It is not reasonable to do both to try to get a "faster" result.

Both types of treatment give results, they are just not additive when piled one on top of the other.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Combining CoolSculpting With Kybella

Technically you can combine CoolSculpting and Kybella to treat double chin fat. Both of the treatments need multiple sessions to see optimal results so they can be alternated 4-6 weeks apart. Honestly, though, I don't see why this would be necessary as both treatments can work well on their own to give good results. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

No this is not necessary and may result in over treatment and visible depressions in the chin and neck contour. My recommendation is to pick one modality and complete the treatment as recommended by your physician.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Kybella and CoolSculpting to treat under chin fat

It would be possible to treat someone with CoolSculpting and Kybella to reduce fat under the chin.  You would need to space these apart however, as both treatments require several weeks to see results.  Both of these treatments, when used alone, normally require more than one treatment session to obtain the best result so it is possible you would need multiple treatment sessions when using both.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon