Should I go with 325 or 350 cc for my breast implants??

I am in between 325 and 350 cc silicone high profile implants. I wanted to go moderate but my doctor said that due to my thorax it would be best to go high. I am a big A cup at most because I don't fill a B. I want to be a C. I like the look of the 325 when I tried it on and I felt that 350 looked a bit too big on me. I also don't want to regret going too small. What would you recommend I do? My surgery is a month from now.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

What size implants should I go with

Hi and thank you for the question. There is very little difference between those two implant sizes. If you were comparing say 350cc to 550cc that would be a substantial difference in terms of what kind of result you would get. 

My suggestion would be to find a practice that uses the Vectra 3D imaging system. We use this to show our patients what they would look like with any size or style implant. Good luck. 

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

First of all, 25cc is LESS than 2 tablespoons--you cannot see this difference when distributed over an entire breast. But, I understand that YOU could see a difference when sizing, and therefore the question.

When sizing, implants that you liked were contained by a bra or stretch top, but inside your body, the exact same implants will look smaller due to submuscular compression, and this frequently leads to women who feel their surgeon put in the "wrong" implants, or that they chose too small. And it's often not just one implant size difference! The larger volume needed to account for this is more accurately about 10-15% more than the sizer volume chosen. 

So if you really liked the look of your 325cc sizers, I would suggest implants in the 360-375cc size range. Please understand that this is still only 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 tablespoons larger, but his will help you avoid the "too small" blues later.

I would certainly use other sizing methods as well, but based on the limited information you have given, you will most likely be happy with either, but happiest with the larger of the two choices. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

25 cc difference

A 25 cc difference in implant volume is not a big difference and you probably would not notice it.  Best of luck.

Thank you for your question. There is very little difference between 325 and 3 50 cc breast implants.  It is very important that you be comfortable with your choice.  Since you felt the 350 cc was too big it may be better to choose the 3 25 cc which you were comfortable with.  To learn more about sizing please read the Link below:

It doesn't matter!

there is really no difference between those. There IS a difference between 325 and 450! If your surgeon feels that 350 will fit your frame, go for it. 

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Implant sizing

There is only a minimal, barely perceptible difference between the implants. For submuscular placement, the larger one will produce a more equivalent appearance to your experience with the tester implant. Many women err on the smaller side and then feel that they should have gone up a size.

Implant size if often a stressful decision.  I think that the 350cc implant will look like the 325cc implant that you are trying on, once it is placed behind the muscle. So I would suggest the larger size. Good luck!

Implants sizing

There really isn't that big of a difference in those sizes and in my experience most women are happy long term that they chose a larger implant. 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon