Is it safe to exercise using the Stairmaster? I want to get back into the gym ASAP! Stairmaster is my favorite machine!

I am 1 week post op 365cc HP silicone! I am usually very active but have been taking it easy to recover! I would like to get back to the gym asap (as soon as my PS gives me the green light) the stair master is my cardio machine of choice! I usually do 30 minutes at level 7/8! Is it safe to use the stair master? If so, what level should I begin at? Is it okay to hold on the the side bars for balance? I don't want to displace my implants.

Of course it is most important that you follow the specific advice of your plastic surgeon.  Most patients are able to return to most normal activity by 3 weeks after breast augmentation.  However very vigorous physical activity including pushups, weight lifting and significant use of the upper body should not be done until 6 weeks after submuscular breast augmentation.  He certainly can be up, active and do lower body exercises after the first 2 weeks but I would not crank up your stairmaster to full until your plastic surgeon agrees that it is time.

Stairmaster after breast implants

Thank you for your question.  I recommend my patients return to regular physical activity at 3 weeks after breast implants.  However, prior to that time I encourage walking, but no heavy lifting or anything strenuous or vigorous for the first 3 weeks.  Always best to check with your plastic surgeon and follow their recommendations.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Activity after breast augmentation surgery

I advise my patients to refrain from aerobic activity for 3 weeks and no lifting, pushing, pulling, or straining for 6 weeks following their breast augmentation surgery. I suggest you speak with your board certified plastic surgeon regarding your limitations following surgery. Good luck! 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

I would absolutely suggest that you wait at least one month before doing any working out.  In theory, your working out your legs but what if you trip and fall?  These are accidents that can happen and jeopardize your results unnecessarily.  Follow your surgeon post operative instructions carefully and don't take any shortcuts.

These are postop questions for your chosen operative surgeon. Any recommendations an expert responder gives needs to be read but not followed unless approved by the surgeon of record!

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I recommend checking with your surgeon about your level of activity after breast augmentation. I usually instruct my patients to avoid heavy-lifting, running and the elliptical machine for about 4-6 weeks after surgery. This helps to promote proper healing and decreases tension on your incisions. Holding the side rails on the stair-master during the first week may cause pain in your chest area and should probably be avoided. Once I clear the patient for exercise, I advise them to slowly increase their level of activity and listen to their bodies if they experience pain or discomfort. Good luck in your recovery.

Working Out Post Breast Augmentation Surgery

Thank you for your inquiry. I would take it easy and not do any exercise until your surgeon says its ok. Even though the stair master allows you to mostly use your legs, there is still a "bouncy" motion which may be painful. Attend your follow up appointments and listen to your surgeons instructions. Best of luck with your recovery, and be patient! You'll be back at the gym in no time.

Resume Exercise after Breast Augmentation

I allow my patients to resume low impact aerobic exercise at three weeks after surgery.  This of course varies from patient to patient depending on how well they are recovering.  Most patients can resume all activities at six weeks post surgery.  You should check with your Plastic Surgeon as to when he/she feels you are safe to exercise.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to perform exercise and lifting > 10 pounds 4 - 6 weeks following breast augmentation. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Exercise

I would suggest that you speak with your surgeon about what specific exercises you can do now. I suggest to my patients to do only light walking for the first few weeks. At 6 weeks, most women can safely do any activity they choose.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon