Blepharoplasty Vs. Laser Resurfacing for Under Eye Lines?

I am a 31 year old female who has under eye bags and fine wrinkles . I recently seen a surgeon who recommended between 2 ways of doing the Lower eye Blepharoplasty. One was was under the eyelid with Erbium Laser resurfacing. I am unsure if that will help very much with under eye wrinkles Option 2 was the standard way with the cutting and removing excess tissue. I have been researching I can't make a choice , Do you have any advice for me to help me choose

Blepharoplasty or lower eyelid LASER

Blepharoplasty and lower eyelid LASER do different things. LASER resurfacing (or, for that matter, a resurfacing chemical peel) can eliminate a mild amount of purely excess skin and reduce wrinkles. It can not, however, remove “bags.” One of the developers of LASER resurfacing and I tried for years to get it to do so, but never succeeded.

To get rid of bags and/or extra fat as well as tighten loose skin, there is no substitute for a blepharoplasty. For you, if your description is right, and you have bags and finely wrinkled skin, the only way to go is with the surgical blepharoplasty, even at your young age.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Eyebags and wrinkles

If you have under eye bags, then the fatty tissues have to be addressed surgically. And sculpting the fat from the inside of the eyelid(transconjunctival blepharoplasty) is a good approach. Erbium/CO2 resurfacing will help the fine wrinkles, but not the fatty under eye bags.

The standard blepharoplasty which removes fat and skin under the eyelash line(subciliary) is also a popular way to tighten the bags without a laser.

I would recommend to discuss with a plastic surgeon who performs many eyelid surgeries as to which technique fits your needs.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

For under eye lines, laser definitely is the more effective treatment

Under eye lines can not be removed by removing skin. When surgeons remove skin they take a small snip of skin and this does not "iron out" the wrinkles. The best way to sooth wrinkles under the eyes is to use a resurfacing laser. There are many of these to choose from based on the color and texture of your skin.

Good Luck.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Skin removal and laser resurfacing

Skin removal and laser resurfacing do different things. Skin removal removes excess skin but does not change the quality of the skin. Laser resurfacing changes the quality of the skin but does not remove excess skin. Your surgeon has to determine if the problem is predominantly too much skin or poor quality skin. At 31, it is probably to some extent neither. Some wrinkles are natural and normal and the goal shouldn't be to remove all wrinkles. To attempt to do so will lead to over-treatment. Laser resurfacing is probably all you need if your skin is the appropriate type and it will save you a scar with its possible complications. Better to undertreat rather than overtreat.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Laser versus surgery for lower eyelids

It sounds like you have two issues. First, the lower lid wrinkles. This can be addressed with surgery or with laser. It all depends on how much loose skin you have and the integrity of your lower lid support. Second, the lower lid bags. This is most likely due to herniating fat, which requires surgery to remove. Sometimes a combination of surgery and laser is most effective. You can have the fat removed from the inside of your eyelid to hide the incisions and then have laser resurfacing on the skin to tighten it up. I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Both laser resurfacing and skin removal are accepted choices for lower eyelid surgeies

It sounds like your doctor is doing a great service to you by carefully reviewing your options during the consultation.

Both approaches are used by surgeons but at age 31 it would be more common in our practice to advise lower eyelid fat removal from the inside of the eyelid with laser resurfacing. If you are not quite ready to make the surgical choice remember that lower eyelid sculpting with one of the hyaluronic fillers can give a very nice result and avoid the surgery for awhile.

Hope this helps

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

The Management Of Eyelid Aging

A variety of treatment options are currently available for the treatment of lower eyelid aging. The specific treatment chosen needs to be individualized based upon the patient's anatomic findings and aesthetic goals. Although your clinical history is helpful, it's virtually impossible to make a specific recommendation without pictures or a physical examination.

Laser re-surfacing of the lower eyelids provides excellent results when patients present with poor skin quality with associated fine wrinkles. Under these circumstances, this approach can significantly rejuvenate the lower eyelids.

Unfortunately, when excess skin or fat pads are present, more aggressive treatment modalities are often necessary. Under these circumstances, blepharoplasty surgery is usually necessary to remove excess skin and address fat pads. In some cases, a transconjunctival blepharoplasty can be combined with laser re-surfacing to optimize results.

In someone who's only 31 and concerned about lower eyelid surgery, it's essential to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience performing this type of procedure. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your age, anatomic findings and aesthetic goals.

Blepharoplasty versus Laser Resurfacing for Under the Eyes

Surgery will correct the "eye bags", but fine wrinkling will need to be addressed another way.  Procedures to consider range from topical medical-grade skincare to botox or RF skin tightening to CO2 skin resurfacing or a combination of two. A proper recommendation can be given by a reputable and experienced board-certified facial plastic surgeon who is able to evaluate the area for you while taking your desired outcome and cost into consideration.

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleph vs Laser

If there are fats bags herniating forward, then a blepharoplasty is required to remove the fat. If the overlying skin is loose or wrinkly, the addition of laser skin resurfacing is great at smoothing out the skin and making the overall appearance much nicer. This combination approach is often very satisfying to patients. 

Choices for lower eyelid rejuvenation

You would be a candidate for a  lower eyelid  blepharoplasty.     You have herniation of orbital fat causing bags of the lower lids with lack of soft tissue fullness.  These features can be corrected with a lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  If the condition is only lose skin then you may want to consider SmartSkin or  SmartXide microablative fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing.   A consult would be needed to advise you which procedure would meet your expectations.