Surgeon has suggested 380cc implants. Will this give me the desired D cup? (Photo)

I'm 5ft 6, 120lb and currently a 32A- I want to go to D cup. My surgeon has suggested 380cc implants. Will this give me the desired D cup, I'm worried it's too small an implant.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

D cup

A women 5'6" need a volume of  600 cc or more for a D cup. Depending on how wide you r chest is a cup is between 125 and 200 cc.  A 380 cc implant will increase you cup side 2 to 3 cup sizes depending on you chest diameter. Let you doctor know your reservations and they can advise you best.

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon has suggested 380cc implants. Will this give me the desired D cup?

You have excellent normal breast anatomy and implants that are too large will have a negative impact on the way your current excellent breasts look.  Implants size should be based on a base width measurement of your breast and the 380 cc that your surgeon recommends will probably increase you at least 2 or more cup sizes in the same style and manufacture of bra that you currently wear.  I suggest that you do the Rice test which is described in the Link below:

Suggestion for implants

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Implants candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 400ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I would follow your surgeon's recommendation

I hope that your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast augmentation. I would trust his judgment. Your surgeon has examined you, listened to you and has come up with size that fits your body. I do not think we can do better by looking at two pictures. Please share your concerns with your surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Will 380 cc give me the desired D cup.

If your surgeon has listened to you and completed a full assessment in the office, and you have worked with trial bras and photos to come to an understanding of what your D cup is expected to look like, then the 380 cc suggested should be a well though out starting point and might be correct for you. You will forget the number, but the look should be what is right.

Postop breast size

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to determine and promise a postoperative bra size following a breast augmentation simply because each bra manufacturer sizes their bras differently.  Therefore, I, and most surgeons, recommend that our patients focus more on a "look" rather than a cup size.  We size our patients in the office with a sizing system so that our patients can visualize approximately how they might look following a breast augmentation with different size implants before making a decision.  Doing so allows the patient and surgeon to be on the same page as far as the patient's goal is concerned which is most important.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations.  It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as to what they would look like.  If you have a smaller overall frame 380 may very well reach a small D cup.  Best wishes!

Breast Implant Volume Selection

Please keep in mind that bra cup size is not standardized and therefore is arbitrary, meaning one bra company's D cup could and likely will be different than another company's.  With that being said, we estimate 180 to 200 ccs to increase one cup size.  Using that math you will increase your cup size approximately 2 cups, not the three that you wish.  I would focus on a look that you are trying to achieve and you should be able to accomplish this with today's sizing system and the rice test.  The rice test can be found on our website.  This way you are an active participant in your size choice and not leaving it totally up to the surgeon.  The surgeon should guide you and have input, redirect you if your expectations are unrealistic or unhealthy long term.  But ultimately this is your body and should be your decision.  You live in Birmingham.  Perhaps you should seek a second opinion.  We perform complimentary consultations and can see you this week.

Christopher J. Schaffer, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon