Six days post op and my breasts still feel sore and tight...is it normal? (Photo)

I got 400 cc hp subglandular textured round implants six days back.My breasts feel hard and sore. How long will it take for the breasts to drop and soften? My ps has not recommended any massage ..will the implants drop soon with out a massage

At one week post-op, it is normal to still have some swelling and for your breasts to feel tight, sore and firm.  Over the next few months you will notice them softening. Give it some time and continue following your surgeon's post-op instructions.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Is tightness and soreness normal at 1 week post-op?

You are very early in your recovery. It is absolutely normal to still be high, tight and hard at this point. I don't have my patients start massage until 3 weeks post-op so that is also normal. You just have to be patient and trust the process. Make sure to follow your PS instructions. Good luck!

BBA

You're very early in the post-op course. Be patient. Your appearance is going to change over the next 6 months. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Recovery after breast augmentation

It is normal to feel firm and sore after breast augmentation.  Your breasts will continue to soften over the first 6-8 weeks.   Absolutely DO NOT MASSAGE TEXTURED implants.  Massaging textured implants can lead to hematoma.  Implants will not drop so much as your skin will stretch some and the bottom of your breasts become more round.  

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Post op pain after breast implants

At 6 days after surgery you can expect to experience pain and swelling.  This is all normal and does improve with time.  I would allow several weeks or sometimes months for the implants to settle.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Postop Discomfort Totally Normal

It's totally normal to have postoperative pain, swelling and a feeling of tightness for several weeks if not longer after a breast augmentation.  Your recovery should speed up with each passing day.  It does appear from the angle of the photo taken that the implants are sitting slightly high on your chest.  Are you wearing a Breast Band to help push the implants down???  Your PS should also instruct you as how you should perform displacement exercises to move the implants within the pockets.  Be patient and things should turn out OK. 

Eric Sadeh, MD

Normal?

Totally normal and we typically do not massage textured implants. Everything seems normal.     

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Early results

From the photos you included, your results are quite early. It may take many months for the skin and breast tissue to stretch to accommodate the size of the implant placed beneath it. I wouldn't be too critical of the result until at least six months has passed. Congratulations on your surgery good luck having an uneventful recovery. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Six days post op and my breasts still feel sore and tight...is it normal?

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

6 Days Post Op Breast Augmentation

Dear mehertanu,

From your photo, you do appear swollen, but that is normal 6 days post op. Your breasts may continue to feel sore and hard for a while longer. They do soften and fall into a more natural position as the swelling decreases, and should be feeling better by the time you are a month or so out from surgery. We never judge the final result of a procedure for at least 6 to 12 months after surgery. If you continue to have concerns, it is best to return to your operating surgeon. Good luck!