Can Botox be used to slim the neck?

I notice that naturally slim people have slender neck and rib cage. Now I reckon that the rib cage is impossible to change, but can something be done to the neck? Perhaps using Botox to slim the neck muscle the same way it does to the masseter muscle?

Nefertiti Lift Using Botox Used For Treating Ropey Cords, Tightening The Jawline, & Restoring The Sharp Neck-Chin Angle

I have been injecting Botox for aesthetic purposes for about twenty-five years. During that time I have never heard of its use for slimming the neck in the way we have been using it for the past decade to taper thick masseter muscles. We have, however, used it for many years to treat ropey cords in the neck, to tighten a saggy jawline, and for restoring the sharp chin/neck angle characteristic of youth--a technique that has come be known as the "Nefertiti Lift," named for the stepmother of King Tut who whose bust stands in the Berlin Museum and whose chiseled profile is considered an ideal of beauty. This technique involves treating the long, thin platysma muscle that sweeps like a sheet from the chest to above the mandible. It does not involve the thick muscles of the neck arising from the back. The latter should not be treated with Botox as this might lead to instability in the region. You would do well to discuss your desires with a board certified aesthetic physician. Best of luck. 

Treatments to slim the neck

Thank you for your question HarryWash. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. To address fullness in the neck treatments such as Kybella, Ultherapy, and SkinTyte can be used as Botox will not slim the neck. Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle to decrease the size of the muscle, but there is no corresponding muscle in the neck. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Can Botox be used to slim the neck?

Hello HarryWash,Botox cannot be used to slim the neck.  As you mentioned, it can help slim the face in patients who have a prominent masseter muscle.  In the neck the muscles that support your head make up the bulk of the size (called the trapezius and sternocleidomastoid).  It would take large doses to immobilize these muscles which would increase the risk of spread affecting other important nerves in the area, and once you reached the result you couldn't support your head.  Now if there is excess skin or fat causing your thicker neck, there are surgical and non surgical options you may want to look into.I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to learn about these other options.I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slimming the neck

I do not believe that neurotoxins will have any real effect on how slim your neck might appear. Most of the cosmetic indications involve smaller muscles.  The muscles primarily responsible for the width of the neck are much larger than the masseter muscle. 

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will Botox Work In The Neck?

It is possible to inject Botox into the platysmal bands of the neck, which are the muscles that can give some “banding” appearance to the neck! This injectable medication works by relaxing these muscles thereby giving a smoother, more slender appearance.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Botox not for neck slimming

Botox cannot be used to slim the neck.  You can use botox in the platysmal bands to create a more chiseled jaw line but will not have a slimming effect.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox to slim the neck

Thanks for your question. While you are correct that Botox can reduce the size of the masseter muscles which serve to slim the lower face, it is unfortunately not possible to slim the neck. Botox is sometimes used to reduce platysmal bands in the neck (the vertical cords that are present in some people) but is not able to reduce the overall width of the neck. The most powerful way to improve the aesthetic appearance of the neck is with a (surgical) face and neck left.

Ian MacArthur, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Botox and the neck

Botox cannot be used to slim the neck. The aging neck is a cosmetic concern for many patients of mine and I do commonly use Botox to address platysmal bands and to sharpen the jawline (Nefertiti lift). It can, as you mentioned, be used to slim the lower face in patients with masseteric hypertrophy but again, no slimming of the neck. Kybella and CoolMini can be used to address fat in the submental region if that is a concern to you and energy based devices can also be used to improve the quality of the neck skin and increase collagen.

Botox for the neck

Botox does not slim the neck.  It can soften neck bands and necklace lines to smooth the neck and firm the jawline.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Neck and Slimming

The aging neck is of concern to many patients.  There are non-surgical ways to tighten the neck such as Thermage and BBL, Botox, and filers.  If there is fat under the chin then Kybella and Coolsculpting work extremely well.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green