Is there a reason my lip filler doesn't last more than a month?

I've tried restylane and juvederm ultra in my lips on numerous occasions. I've tried different Doctors to do the treatment too. I've also tried the canula technique. I always put 1 syringe in. Last time I used one syringe and it lasted a month. I went to another well known doctor and had another syringe done with the canula and it only lasted a month too. It's really frustrating. Ive heard it could be my metabolism. What do you suggest and is there anything I can do?

Duration of effect for hyaluronic acid lip fillers

Of all the areas that we treat with hyaluronic acid fillers, the lips tend to have the shortest duration of effect.  Patient age, lip size, vascularity, and movement are variables that affect how long fillers last here.

Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Why does lip filler disappear quickly in some people?

Hello, thank you for your question. The longevity of a lip filler depends upon the original size of the lip, age of the patient, anatomy of the peri oral area, cupid's bow, oral commissures, upper cutaneous lip size and the amount of preexisting collagen.  I do believe the anatomy of the lip and peri oral area plays a major role with lip augmentation.  Some people may need more than one filler to rebuild the peri oral area and then achieve the lip fullness. Best wishes. Dr. Shanthala

Filler dissolving.

Fillers dissolve at different rates in different people. I find that fillers placed in particularly vascular areas or areas of high movement such as around the mouth and lips, tend to dissolve much more rapidly. You may consider injecting a more viscous or thicker filler which tends to last longer such as Juvederm Ultra Plus or Restylane Lyft. These thicker gels can feel harder and tend to lump up more easily than the thinner fillers. It is best to see an experienced injector for an evaluation and who can precisely place the filler in an area that is both safe and effective. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Lip Filler Not Lasting

I understand your frustration. Situations like these are also frustrating for the injectors as they don't happen very often. I can recall 1 or 2 patients of mine that just metabolized the fillers extremely fast. In smokers the fillers don't tend to last as long either. You can either try adding more filler, or switching to a bulkier filler such as Juvederm Ultra Plus or Voluma. Make sure you are seeing an experienced injector.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Perfecting the Pout--Lip Augmentation that Works, Fillers (Perlane, Voluma), Implants, Fat

Most people think the filler doesn't last as long because the lips get very swollen after injection.  If you truly feel the results are not long lasting and you have compared before and after photos, then I would consider other options such as fat or a lip implant (although I tend to not like how implants look). Other fillers such as Perlane and Voluma, although typically used in the middle face, work very well in the lip in patients like you whom Restylane and Juvederm Ultra/Ultra plus just didn't seem to last. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Filler longevity

Hi there, what you're experiencing isn't common (out of the thousands of fillers I have done just a handful of people don't get the expected duration). It could be that you have an abnormally fast metabolism. You could try using a longer and fuller filler next time, like Juvederm Ultra Plus or even Voluma.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your rapid filler absorption.  Some patients who are very physically active and have a high internal metabolism can break down some of the thinner hyaluronic acid fillers quickly.  I would recommend trying one of the thicker fillers, such as Juvederm Ultra Plus or Voluma, to see if they can last a bit longer for you.  Best wishes. 

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant for a permanent enhancement.  If the dermal fillers aren't lasting longer than a month, it might be time to consider Permalip implants.

In my humble opinion, dermal filers and lip implants offer far more of a reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Hello, and thanks for your question. You might try having a larger volume injected, or try a longer-lasting product such as Voluma. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon