What can I do for botched lumps from under eye fat transfer?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures, over the past 30 years, using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants), liposuction and/or facelifts.  Despite its current popularity, fat injections (fat transfer) is far less reliable than dermal fillers or facial implants at providing a predictable volume to contour features of the face (cheek, chin and jaw line) and for that reason I don't use fat to shape the face.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissue layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount.

The cheeks should be aesthetically shaped before shaping the "tear trough" area in my humble opinion.  It should be noted that the skin in the tear trough area is extremely thin which makes placement of a thick dermal filler or fat injections prone to lumps, bumps and irregularities.  Once placed, fat is difficult to smoothen out or remove in the tear trough area as the lower eyelid muscle can be damaged by attempts to remove the fat and/or surrounding fat dissolved if steroid is injected in an attempt to dissolve the transferred fat.  Often the "best" treatment is time in my humble opinion as some of the fat will most likely dissolve over time.

Hope this helps.

I need to either evaluate you in person or Skype or at least see photos of your eyes to better tell.  Sometimes injectable products can help. Sometimes it requires surgical removal. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lumps after Eye Fat Transfer--Fat Transfer Under Eye is Best with PRP

I suggest seeing an expert to discuss lump removal.  Fat is variable and the best results come from appropriate amounts injected with PRP and through a small cannula.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fat lumps under the eye following fat transfer

The lower eyelid skin is so thin that the risk of lumpiness leads most of us to avoid transfer to this area.  Occasionally I have seen fat globules displace from the cheek to the lid creating a firm lump.  If you have noticeable lumpiness I'd suggest that you have the injecting surgeon make a tiny incision for it's removal.  Otherwise it may take quite some time to disappear.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Fat transfer under eyes

Fat is not a good filler for under the eyes. It will eventually go away but will take time. Or you can have it surgically removed

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Fat transfer under the eyes

Generally speaking it is not good practice to place fat under the eyes because it causes a string of pearls phenomenon, kind of what you're experiencing right now. The fat can either be removed or you can wait until it dissolves overtime.