My naturally very full lips disappear when I smile. I tried juvaderm in 03/16 and it helped a little. Can botox help? (photos)

I have called several offices in Beverly Hills to ask re: botox but the girls answering the phone don't really know the answer to this question. I am wondering if there is a place where botox can be injected to prevent my lips from pulling so far and disappearing when I smile (because of my overbite). My lips are so naturally full that I have to be careful with the fillers so I don't look like a crazy fish. If botox doesn't help what would be recommended?

My naturally very full lips disappear when I smile. I tried juvaderm in 03/16 and it helped a little. Can botox help?

Smiling naturally changes the facial contour and trying to perfect your smile at the expense of either overfilled lips (a problem obviously seen by others) or through muscle paralysis with botox are both bad bad eyes Jenny.  I've seen a few people who had botox injected at other offices to their lips to alleviate wrinkles who regretted both the flat and elongated lip appearance as well as the sense of being unable to move their upper lip in a natural way.  

My recommendation is to avoid potential problems and be happy with the nicely contoured and full lips that you have.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Botox versus lip filler

Thank you for your photos. Botox is not frequently used around the mouth for several reasons. Injecting the muscle in the upper lip will cause your smile to change and make your upper lip appear longer. If too much Botox is used it make it more difficult to form a strong pursing action. This may make high pressure activities like drinking from straws or swishing mouthwash more difficult and you may find yourself leaking or drooling during those activities. It is important to use only a small amount of Botox in the upper lip to avoid these issues or place the Botox in your smiling muscles in your cheek. Regardless, this will cause your smile to change and may seem unnatural. Having just the right amount of filler in the right areas will help keep your lips full without looking fake or duck-like. It is best to have an in-office examination to determine the best type of filler and correct areas to inject to achieve your goals. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Botox For Smile/Gummy Smile Treatment

In your case botox may help but it often makes the smile change since you do not have such a gummy show meaning that the upper lip may not move much after the botox. you need a formal consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lips disappear when smiling

From what I see on the picture, your upper lip rises and your nose tip dips causing the appearance of fading full lips.  I am guessing you like the upper lip to not rise as high and your nose to lift a bit; if that is the case, then yes a few units of neuromodulator (dysport, botox, or xeomin) injected right beneath the tip of nose can relax the muscle not allowing your upper lip to rise as high.  This will also give your nose tip a little lift as well.  

Hope this helps,

Yazdani, MD 

Botox For Disappearing Lips

Hi Jenny. Botox can be used to improve the appearance of a gummy smile. However, you do not have a gummy smile. Your lips are nice and full and your smile looks natural as is. To give you Botox would make your smile look unnatural. I would leave things as they are.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Fuller Lips

Fuller lips can be achieved both through a combination of fillers and Botox carefully placed at the top of the lip for a more pouty expression.  Please consult an exert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

My naturally very full lips disappear when I smile. Can botox help?

Thank you for your question.  First of all, I just wanted to let you know that people want lips like yours everyday in my office. Your smile and lips are naturally beautiful! I would advise against doing anything, but if it really bothers you, a small dose of Botox could be injected to soften the pull of the upper lip, if you don't like the result it is not permanent but you will have to live with it for about three months.  Consult with an experienced injector and best of luck with your decision. 

Take Care,

Dr. John Serrao

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I would not recommend further volume at this time, as I think it would result in an unnatural appearance. I do not think Botox would help for what you're describing, as one would need to paralyze muscles that are important for facial expression. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Full lips

Your lips look fine and should not have any filler injected as it will produce a very unnatural look at rest.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fuller Lips with a Lip Lift

Thank you for your inquiry and for providing photos. If you are looking for fuller, more pronounced lips with gorgeous corners and well-defined borders, a lip lift is the right choice. A lip lift is a surgical procedure that modifies the appearance of the lips through reshaping techniques. The procedure increases the prominence of the vermillion border (the red coloured area that is adjacent to regular skin). If your vermillion border is not clearly defined, it may look like your lips are either too thin, or simply a straight line with no contours. A lip lift will rectify this situation by giving you a sharp yet aesthetically pleasing contrast between your vermillion border and the skin under your nose. Fillers such as Juvederm are recommended to be used post treatments to fill your lips should it be required.(not always necessary) Hope this helped. Be sure whatever you decide to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable performing this surgery. Regards,