Is there a way to know if I might get an allergic reaction to lip fillers?

Hello, ive been wanting lip fillers for a long time but worried that i might get an allergic reaction to juvaderm. Is this common and is there a way I can know if i might get an allergic reaction to the filler? Thank you!

Test Spot

Allergic reactions are not common in our office, however they are possible. You can ask your doctor to do a test spot first, to see if you respond. Hope this helps!

Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Allergy to Fillers

Allergic reactions to fillers (especially hyaluronic acid based ones) are rare; most people are allergic to the anesthetic that is in the fillers not the filler itself.  However, if there is a big concern, a test area can be performed prior to any injections to your face.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek. 

Kimberly Lee, MD

Allergic reaction to fillers

It is very unlikely for you to be allergic to hyaluronic acid fillers.  A small test area could be placed and watched if you were truly concerned.  However, I think you are likely safe to proceed with treatment.  Good luck with your treatment.

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Allergie to fillers

During consultation it can be tried a small amount into the skin and wait 15-30 min. Normally an allergic reaction would be seen within this time frame. Juvederm Ultra XC and Juvederm Ultra Plus XC both contain 0.3% preservative-free lidocaine, to which  patients can be allergic.

Joseph Doumit, MD
Montreal Dermatologist

Allergic reaction

It is very rare to have an allergic reaction to fillers.  You could probably have a skin test performed, but the likelihood that you would be allergic is so small that it may not be worth your time and money.  If you have filler injected and do not like the result or have a reaction to the product, it can be dissolved.

Camille Cash, MD

Thank you for your question. A skin test could be planned but the occurrence of an allergic reaction is so rare it is almost unheard of.  I think it is fair for you to simply relax and proceed and enjoy the results of your injections.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon or dermatologist, however I personally have never seen an allergic reaction in my practice.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Can I Get An Allergic Reaction To Lip Fillers?

Hi Jenny. Allergic reactions to lip fillers, especially Hyaluronic Acid ones, is very rare. If you are that concerned about it, a small amount can be given as a test spot in your arm to see if you react. See an experienced injector to discuss your options. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Getting Lips You Love--Lip Augmentation with Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm), implants or fat

An allergy to Juvederm would be extremely rare. It is unlikely to be a problem for you. Injections with cannulas will limit possible complications. These fillers, (Restylane, Juvederm) are good to create a symmetrical and full lip. Implants or fat are alternative options. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Allergic reaction to lip filler - Doesn't happen

I wouldn't be concerned about an allergic reaction. I've never seen or heard of it. If there were a problem, hyaluronidase can dissolve it easily. I wouldn't worry about this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD