Is it normal for the doctor to squeeze and pinch your face after injecting juvederm?

After the injection he pushed and squeezed and pinched my face at the injection site so hard that it hurt and after about ten minutes I asked him to stop. I realize there will be pain with these procedures so I do not complain, but after a while, I simply couldn't take it. I thought it was a little much and now I have huge bruises on my face. I want to know if this is normal before I write a review.

"Push and Mush" technique is not used by experienced injectors

This is usually seen in the more inexperienced injectors. It indicates that the filler wasn't placed exactly where the injector want to place it and they are trying to get it to move. This leads to more bruising and shorter longevity of the product. 

Facial fillers: molding and massaging

Facial fillers are injected to improve the volume and contours of the face.

After injecting, facial fillers can be molded for a better result. By massaging the product with firm pressure, lumps can be smoothed out and hollows can be filled in. If this causes discomfort, your doctor can give you intermittent breaks. Throughout any injection, I ask my patients if they need to take a break in between pokes, because I can get a safer, better result if my patient is relaxed instead of tense and squirming. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Push and Squeeze after Juvederm injections

I am sorry to hear about your experience. This indicates an inexperienced injector. It usually means the filler was not placed where the injector wanted and they are trying to move it. This leads to more bruising and shorter longevity of the product. I recommend seeing an expert for future injections. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Juvederm treatment

Different techniques are used by different injectors.  Many use very little to no massage with injections.  I would suggest speaking with your doctor about your concerns.  You may want to select a different injector for further treatments.

Camille Cash, MD

Push and Squeeze--Juvederm injections

It's hard to speak for another injector's technique. It may be that he was molding the filler for a better result. I recommend following up with the Dr. about your concerns and feedback. Best, Dr. Emer