What is the difference in results for SculpSure Laser Fat Loss vs. Coolsculpting?
Doctor Answers 40
Coolsculpting or Sculpsure: Is one better than the other?
I will give you some of my own personal thoughts and observations. As a surgeon I did quite a bit of research on both procedures prior to deciding to offer Sculpsure over Coolsculpting to my Richmond patients. I will try to outline the similarities and differences in hopes of helping you to make the best personal decision.
- both machines permanently destroy fat cells.
- Patient satisfaction- both have around 80% RealSelf worth it ratings
- Time- Sculpsure is 25 minutes for one area, Coolsculpting is 50 minutes. One of the physicians below brought up that the Sculpsure treatment heads are smaller and therefore do not save time. Its not the size of the applicator that matters, its what areas you can treat in those 25 minutes. Take the flanks (love handles) as an example- you can treat both flanks in one 25 minute session with Sculpsure. Because of the design of Coolsculpting, you would have to treat each flank separately at 50 minutes each. So, 25 minutes vs 100 minutes. Which would you rather do?
- Pain- not uncommon after Coolsculpting, sometimes requiring narcotics or neuropathic pain medications such as Neurontin. (there are many patient stories about Coolsculpting pain on this site). I personally had 2 areas treated with Sculpsure in the morning and saw patients for the rest of the day. For the next week, I felt like I had done a vigorous abdominal workout. Not pain, just sore.
- Downtime- you can literally get up from your Sculpsure treatment and go right to the gym. Zero downtime. As mentioned, I worked a full day right after mine. After Coolsculpting, massaging the "frozen stick of butter" is required. You can read stories on this site from patients who experienced significant swelling and bruising after Coolsculpting, keeping them from returning to their normal activities.
- Numbness- Coolsculpting uses a suction applicator. Anything that gets sucked in gets frozen, including nerves. This causes numbness in the treated areas. In most patients this resolves with time, but can prove an inconvenience. Sculpsure uses laser energy at 1060nm and only targets fat cells. Nerves, vessels, and skin are not affected.
- Shelving or "Shark Bite"- Because of the suction applicator, some patients see a sharp demarcation from the treated and untreated areas with Coolsculpting. This leaves and area that many people say looks like a shark took a bit out of their tissue. Sculpsure uses an applicator head that sits on top of the skin and does not use suction. The heat from the laser spreads out beyond the applicator head to allow for better blending between treated and non treated areas.
I wish you all the best
SculpSure vs. Coolsculpting
Heat vs Cold, SculpSure vs Coolsculpting
SculpSure is the new kid on the block. I personally had a treatment done 4 weeks ago to experience the treatment, and to judge the efficacy of this new device.
My personal experience as a Dermatologist-
1. Coolsculpting - great for contouring esp. Pockets of fat, like the flanks. Predictable. Downtime of a few days after the treatment. Post treatment pain is frequent but tolerable.
2. SculpSure- heats fat. Best for general reduction. Takes only 25 minutes to do. So far at 4 weeks, I have noticed and measured a difference, but no large long term studies, so that is only MY opinion. No downtime, back to the gym the next day. Super comfortable.
Bottom line- I think both of these devices have their place in a body contouring clinic, time will tell if SculpSure is the game changer. To date there has been a 100% patient satisfaction rate, but only 20 reviews on RealSelf. I think it is too early to make a hard call.
Watch this space.
Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
You might also like...
CoolSculpting Remains the Leading Noninvasive Fat Reduction Technology Worldwide
In terms of SculpSure, while I am not personally experienced with this technology, I suggest that it and claims surrounding it be viewed with caution until a significant level of experience with this technology has accumulated. Thus far, I have found that all heat-based technologies such as Liposoniix produce inconsistent results and that in order to achieve impressive results a significant amount of heating, and therefore pain, must occur. One of the nice things about CoolSculpting is that within 10 minutes of the start of a treatment, the treated area becomes numb.
Overall, I have been impressed by how much y patients enjoy the CoolSculpting process. They find the treatments to be generally very easy to tolerate and frequently watch movies or do work during treatment. Furthermore, they seem to enjoy the sense of empowerment that they have in directing their treatment course over time.
Difference between SculpSure & CoolSculpting
- Noticeable fat loss results in the targeted area in less than 12 weeks*
- Provides a natural appearance with smooth contours and no dimpling*
- Treats twice the surface area in half the time
- No downtime afterwards and no unsightly bruising*
- Comfortable and fast treatment sessions
The difference between SculpSure vs. CoolSculpting...
Both SculpSure and CoolSculpting are FDA Approved for permanent fat reduction. While the results should be somewhat similar, the method of action and post care is completely different. SculpSure has a Sapphire cooling tip keeping the skin and nerves cool while the 1060 nm laser heats the fat cells for 25 minutes. While the cooling is constant, the heating period oscillates to keep the fat at the correct temperature. Patients report only minor discomfort during the heating periods. After the treatment, the laser heads are docked and the applicator frames are removed. The patient only has to get dressed and go back to their normal activities.
CoolSculpting is cryolipolysis where it freezes fat cells for 60 minutes. The applicator is attached to the treatment area and a vacuum is introduced, sucking the area up into the applicator to be frozen. Please read the other reviews about the comfort of this procedure. There is a significant risk of temporary to permanent nerve damage. Once the 60 minutes of freezing is over, the patient has to massage the area back into place for the next 1 to 4 weeks.
SculpSure is effective
Sculpsure Over Coolsculpting
- Highly effective treatment 1060nm laser targeting fat cells more specifically.
- Can be used on the flanks, abdomen, upper arms, thighs, knees, and other locations with fat deposits
- Completely non-surgical and non-invasive
- No anesthesia
- Painless – most patients describe the treatments as feeling like a warming sensation
- Only requires one treatment
- Most treatments are approximately 25 minutes long
- No downtime; can return right back to work or other activitiesIf you have stubborn areas of fat that you can’t seem to get to go away, SculpSure™ is the revolutionary treatment that you’ve been looking for. In addition to its FDA-approval for safety and effectiveness, it also requires only one treatment, whereas several other fat-reduction techniques require multiple treatments. You don’t have to fear any pain or discomfort and can return to work right after your SculpSure™ session. You should notice results within 6-12 weeks and will love the way you look.
SculpSure vs CoolSculpting
Sculpsure is Best
In our practice patients are seeing results as early as 6 weeks after treatment while optimal results won't appear until 12 weeks after treatment. There is absolutely no downtime after Sculpsure and no problems with nerve pain which is significant in Coolsculpting patients.
Sculpsure is the game changer in non-invasive, permanent fat reduction.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.